It Figures...

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first "Good For" token I've ever found in 20+ yrs metal detecting, and it's trashed :BangHead: . Oh well, had a great time finding it and it will still hold a prominent place in my collection!! I haven't been able to find out anything about it but thought maybe some of you who specialize in tokens might have the reference material to be able to tell me more about it. The city name is pretty much obliterated on the token but I can see it starts with a "c" and ends with an "s", so I was thinking maybe Columbus, Ind. The reverse is blank. The 1945 nickel was found in the same hole with it and is in the photo for size comparison.

Attachments

• DSC02224.JPG
    DSC02224.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC02227.JPG
    DSC02227.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 140

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang the ground can be hard on aluminum! I don't see it listed in the IN books, so will shoot off an e-mail to the guy who is currently cataloging IN and will let you know what he says. I'd agree on Columbus being probable.
John in the Great 208

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
token collectors are not necessarily prior coin collectors...meaning condition is a premium, not a deal breaker.
yes, it's much much harder to sell, and will be less $$$$, but ...!
hey, not everything in a museum is minty..., except maybe the wax museums...haha!

wish i could help you on the town.

mike w.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The IN token cataloger says he has listed one of these previously - the town is Columbus. So, you have a not-so nice example of a newly-discovered merchant from a fairly-common town. Where there is one, there are more - keep swinging!
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
pjduff

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The IN token cataloger says he has listed one of these previously - the town is Columbus. So, you have a not-so nice example of a newly-discovered merchant from a fairly-common town. Where there is one, there are more - keep swinging!
John in the Great 208

Thank you idahotokens for the positive i.d.!! Greatly appreciated!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread