need info. and value on token (pics)

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
this token was found by my brother I think early last year?? anyhow, was found in New Carlisle Oh. and after finding it I did a little research and found out there were some strome's in new carlisle around this time period but could not find anything else.

does anyone know anything about W.O. Slome and would be curious to value.

Thank you!
mike

Attachments

• DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 265

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Quoting a bit from PBK on another post.

"The Ingle System was a method of bookkeeping which allowed merchants to treat customers' credit purchases the same as cash transactions. If you got $10 credit, you were given $10 in tokens of various denominations, to be "spent" in that store only. There were 1?, 5?, 10?, 25?, 50?, $1, and $5 Ingle tokens."

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
Thanks for the info!
what about value? and does anyone know how I can research it to see what and where W.O. slome was??

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
William Oscar Strome was born 27 September, 1871, son of Jacob Strome and his wife Barbara Shaffer Strome. He started out as a salesman in a hardware store in his hometown of New Carlisle, OH. He married a Virginia girl named Sadie Judd in about 1900 and by 1910 they had six little Stromes, 4 sons and 2 daughters. He had gone into the grocery business for himself sometime prior to 1910, and in 1912 the Bradstreet Directory (predecessor to Dun & Bradstreet) showed him in the general store business. A third daughter came along in 1913, but sometime between then and 1920, Sadie died and he remarried. In the late 'teens, a lot of general stores and grocery stores (they were mostly all a combination), fell on hard times when agricultural prices bottomed out. Farmers went broke and shortly thereafter the stores that had been extending credit to the farmers went under as well. William got a job as a laborer in a automotive garage. He died 17 February 1956 in New Carlisle.

The value of Ingle tokens varies all over the map. They are of two major varieties, 1909 and 1914 patent dates. Nearly all of them are mavericks, that is they don't name the town they are from. The good news, however, is that they have been well researched and there is information on the 1914 ones as to where they were shipped when they were made. That allows us to have attributions on a high percentage of Ingles.

The Strome tokens are listed in both Gaylor Lipscomb's OH Merchant Tokens book and Lloyd Wagaman's Ingle Tokens book. Neither of these books gives valuations - if they did, the values would be outdated by now. I'd estimate you could get in the $10 range for this token, but not being too close to the Ohio token market, I could be off some.

John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread