A friend wound up with a trade token from Louisiana........

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in some change he got. It is made of bronze we think, it's the color of a penny. It says: The Exchange Bar, 310 Texas st., Shreveport LA. Good for 5c in trade. It is round and is in great shape. Sorry I do not have a picture but he is checking to see if it is rare or has any value. Thanks for any info...d2

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
There are two varieties of this one listed in Crawford & Farber's LA Trade Tokens book - one is 20mm aluminum and the other (your friend's) is 24mm in diameter and made of brass. The book shows a "desirability" factor of "E" which is toward the lower end of the scale, and a "rarity" of 10 which indicates only one of each of these was known at the time the book was published in 1996.

They state, "City directories indicate that this was a soft drink parlor from 1925 to 1927. George Honeycutt was the first manager and W. H. Wallace was his successor. However, other directories indicate that Charles Bowers owned a billiard and domino hall by this name from about 1925 to about 1928."

My 2¢ worth is that since it says "Bar" on it, it would have to be before 1918 or after 1933 when Prohibition was in effect. I think a little more sleuthing might pin down a directory listing of the place at that particular address, so a better date could be determined.

As far as value, it is hard to tell - LA does not seem to have a very active body of token collectors and ones from the larger towns would not be high on their lists. The only way to tell an actual value would be either to auction it on eBay or to find one that has actually sold at eBay or a similar auction.

If you can get good photos, it would be nice to have them posted on TokenCatalog.com - or with permission, I could post them for you.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting