Help with info on John C Drewry token from Concord NC please

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not dig this one up, but I got it at the end of a local auction for a low price. I have looked around online and have been unable to find any info on it. It is marked John C Drewry Chapter No 82 RAM Concord NC Chartered May 9th 1917. On the back of the holder someone wrote 101 in book. So I am asuming it is listed in a book somewhere. I do not collect tokens really but I do enjoy finding out what some of them were for from time to time. Any help with finding out what this token was made for and possible value if any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• drewry front.jpg
    drewry front.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 267

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben--

This is a Masonic "penny", a pocket piece that was given (I think, but perhaps sold) to a person when he became a member of the Royal Arch Masons. Often a member would engrave his personal "mark" on the other side, but it is something a Mason would carry with him. I am not really familiar with the Masonic ritual, but it was either used to identify himself to other Masons, or to remind himself of Masonic traditions. I do not know for certain, but believe they are still being issued to new members.

They are often collected (after the owner passes away) by state and lodge. That may be what the 101 indicates. There is a book on Masonic Chapter Pennies, but I do not have it. Going prices range up to $50 or so for small lodges where not many were given out.

John in ID

OP
OP
B

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Idaho. BenVA