please help.

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
How do you clean tokens and should i clean it

I am not sure if this is correct but I generally use a rock tumbler to clean my items. I use the tumbler with fish tank gravel, then fill the drum above the rock level with water & put a couple good squirts of dawn dish soap in there & tumble for 24 hours. Everything comes out beautiful.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Forum > Research/Techniques > Cleaning & Preservation...

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA) and thanks for jumping in to help a member.

Well I figure that someone told me once & it has worked for me so why not share. Thanks for the welcome from Washington.

FMJ VALOR

Greenie
Sep 21, 2013
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if its a token it's the in the 1800's the early 19 hundreds I wouldn't wash it I only wash my clad coins , coins from the old days and tokens usually are worth more money the way they are rather than really clean

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
people are more & more interested in condition & yes whether cleaned or not....
depends on the token to some degree. but the higher paying collectors, very generally, came from coin collecting and using condition as a buying criteria---as well as cleaning...!

I collect coal and lumber scrip---I figure if I don't have it I want it, the fact that it is worn (unless lettering missing or badly pitted) shows use...that's just history!!!

try not to clean it harshly...soaking in vinegar while taking it out & checking it alot is safe on brass. aluminum is the worse...soap and water, pink pearl eraser has little abrasives works.
I have a thin piece of veneer laminate with holes cut to fit variety of token sizes. this holds it in place while using the eraser.
intimer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread