chas & pick

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found my first trade token, however I have come across problems finding any Information on it.

It is a chas & pick token with good for 5cent good at bar token. I did find one similar online but it claims it says "Wm fueker" on the back and mine only has " J. C. U" so I'm super confused. The info I can find says they were only made from 1878-1892. Doss anyone else have any information??!

ForumRunner_20131107_144525.png

ForumRunner_20131107_144549.png

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Charles Pick Company of Chicago was a supplier of bar and dining room supplies. They made tokens available to their customers, probably at a pretty good rate because of the advertising for their company on the reverse side. So, you will find on sites like TokenCatalog.com a lot of different Pick tokens that are predominately "mavericks" i.e. just the name or initials of the bar with no town and state. These date from 1890 give or take several years and are generally tough to positively attribute. Your J. C. U. one has been attributed to J. C. Umland, Waller, TX per the 1897 Texas Gazetteer & 1900 Dun Business Directory. That attribution is the best information we have, but I bet that there were a number of other business owners with those initials...
John in the Great 208

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
What general area did you find this token. Anywhere near Waller, Texas, or somewhere totally different? Where found doesn't always indicate where the token is from, but it often provides clues.

OP
OP
M

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanatah Indiana, about an hour from Chicago lol

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Indeed, what Idahotokens and Rgreever said, true. Also, according to one book I have, the Charles Pick Company sometimes provided up to 1,250 tokens for free to establishments that purchased supplies (such as cutlery, drinking glasses, plates/crockery, etc) from them, as a bonus. The Pick tokens are known to exist for almost all over the USA and parts of Canada as well.

OP
OP
M

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes very close to valpo and Chesterton. This park I found it at is an historical site. Lincolns body came through this area on the train and everyone gathered here to witness it. I figured it to be all but hunted out. But apparently not. Lol

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
This token was struck in the early 1880's (1881-1883). Would it be OK to post your image on the TokenCatalog.com website.

OP
OP
M

mwfisherman77

Apr 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely. Thank you where did you find the information? Do you have a location of the bar?

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
so you are fairly close to Valparaiso, Indiana, and Chesterton Ind. That will give the researchers something to search for the initials.

There is a John C. Urbahns in the 1880 Valparaiso census - occupation Saloon Keeper.

1880 United States Federal Census about John C. Urbahns
Name: John C. Urbahns
Birth Year: abt 1839
Birthplace: Holstien
Home in 1880: Valparaiso, Porter, Indiana
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Dora Urbahns
Father's Birthplace: Holstien
Mother's Birthplace: Holstien
Neighbors: View others on page

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANOTHER CHAS.PICK TOKEN...INFO?

Hello everyone!!! I recently got an Chas.Pick token,Info posted already has helped alot...I didn't even have to hit the RULAU's,etc. At least not yet.Mine is different and in my search thus far A.WEIMER doe's not compute:tongue3:!!! So as ALWAYS i go to my"GO-TO" guys 1St!...TN!!! And the PICK(s) follow,Pun intended!
ANY more info. Will be greatly appreciated,Thank's&HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!

Attachments

• DSCI7086.JPG
    DSCI7086.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCI7092.JPG
    DSCI7092.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 159

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
The Chas. Pick reverse (CP-7 (1883-1887)) on the A. Weimer token dates a little later than the J.C.U. token (CP-3b (1882-1883)). Where was this one found, it might help narrow the search.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chas&Pick...

The Chas. Pick reverse (CP-7 (1883-1887)) on the A. Weimer token dates a little later than the J.C.U. token (CP-3b (1882-1883)). Where was this one found, it might help narrow the search.
Thank You...It was found in Erie,PA.,HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread