frank phillips 66th birthday token

wi glenn

Greenie
May 29, 2006
abbotsford wi
Detector(s) used
whites- dfx - whites 6000sl pro plus- and 6000pro plus
can anyone tell me about this token i found at an old oil camp in n eastern ok. it has nov 28 1939 with phillips66 shield on one side along with natural gas & gasoline dept heres to 77......... on the other side it has a picture of frank with indian warbonnet with happy birthday above and white chief of the osage tribe on the other side . it has some gilt left on it and is in very fine shape. can anyone tell me anything about it i have a digital camera but am too stupid to know how to use it or else i'd have my picture in mug shots and give you all a good laugh thanks

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Glenn--I don't really know anything about your piece, but Wikipedia says: Frank Phillips (November 28, 1873 – August 23, 1950) founded Phillips Petroleum in Bartlesville, Oklahoma (marketed as Phillips 66) in 1917, along with his brother, Lee Eldas "L.E." Phillips, Sr. In 2002, Phillips Petroleum merged with Conoco Oil Company and became ConocoPhillips.

Frank Phillips was born in Scotia, Greeley County, Nebraska and died in Atlantic City, New Jersey. He was buried beside his wife, Jane (Gibson) Philips, in the Phillips Family Mausoleum at Woolaroc near Bartlesville, Washington County, Oklahoma.

So, that tells me that the date on yours would have been Frank Phillips' 66th birthday. I'd suppose his employees in the natural gas and gasoline department had these made up as part of the celebration of his birthday - the 66th being somewhat special for a company called Phillips 66. My guess is that every employee in those deapartments got one, plus one for Phillips and probably others as well. Many people would carry something like this in their pocket as a lucky pocket piece. The fact that you found it in an old oil camp would tend to support this guess.

If you wanted to research it more, I the ConocoPhillips Heritage Museum in Bartlesville, OK could be of help.
http://www.conocophillips.com/about/Company+History/Phillips_Petroleum_Museum.htm
John in ID

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You might check with the Woolaroc Museum as well as the Bartlesville Area History Museum (located above City Hall).

You might also check with th Indian Territory T.H. Club in Tulsa.
http://itthc.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread