saloon tokens ?

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found two tokens that are the same, have Good for 1 drink and 50 on one side and a Bull - longhorn on the other. No name or town, found in Paris, Texas. Aluminum, 25 mm, In rough shape as usual for alum. tokens. Also a Good luck holder with no coin from Ft. Worth that was found at a different site from the tokens.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 128

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice--the pictorials will be tough to attribute, but having found two at the same location is a good starting point. Texasvarmint may weigh in on this.
John in the Great 208

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find anything. That's the problem with tokens without a city listed. They can travel just like coins and could be from anywhere. It's probably a Texas token so I would try to find a Texas token collector group and seek info from them.

Another route would be to research turn of the century businesses for your town and those surrounding you. It could have been the "number 50 saloon" or something similar. It could also have been salesman samples.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Nice Saloon Tokens !

the Good luck holder
that had a Wheat Cent in it, Probably a 1955.

I only say that because the ones I've seen so far here did.

the one the Bull I have no idea on

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like there is a word in the top right quadrant of the left (steer) coin. If you can remove the crud, maybe it will be of help.
Meanwhile, tokens from Spanish Fort in Montaque Co. and from Goldsmith in Ector Co, TX both have tokens with steers (Longhorns?).
That 'crudded' up word may be the clue you need.
Don.....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the full-sized images and I don't see any evidence of wording. All I see is aluminum scaring from being buried for a long time.

OP
OP
etex

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked at it under my loupe and can't see any letters. The steer on the Spanish Fort token is standing on a different type of mound. Have some books on Paris that list some saloons but nothing named like 50 saloon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread