1st token found..J.L.A?

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am clueless on this. I found it in my driveway about 11" down. I can see a 5 but don't know if it is cents or dollars. The initials of J.L.A., tried the Google but didn't get anywhere. The back is blank so I only have the front to go by.
July296.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I can make out GOOD FOR on the top line and IN GOODS on the bottom line. If you can see a 5, that probably is 5¢ rather than $5. Where is the J.L.A. that you see? This is one of those tough "initials only mavericks" that will be hard to prove where it is from. With the square shape, it could well be from a general merchandise store whose proprietor has those initials. Circa 1910-20 give or take.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This pic. was before I cleaned it up a little and the J.L.A. was right above the "in goods". Thank you for the information you have provided, I will try a different search to see if I can get more info.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I just spot-checked the 1911 and 1914 Keene, NH City Directories but came up empty. If your library has a run of them, you might be able to do some good scanning through the A listings looking for somebody with first and middle initials J. L. - hopefully that person would be in an appropriate business. Of course, the token may be from some distant location.

You might post pics on TokenCatalog.com to have more eyeballs looking.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The search I did right after my last post led me to TokenCatalog.com...I checked the entire NH list and did not find it so I may have to post some pics to get some answers. Thanks for the heads up and advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread