1837 Hard Luck Token

EARTHWORKS

Apr 30, 2005
Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Hey Guys: Found this last Thursday, had posted on todays finds and got buried.
Enjoy

Tokens of the period 1833 - 1844 are known as Hard Times Tokens, a name given them by Lyman H. Low in 1886 in his book of that title. "Hard Times" certainly resulted from the Panic of 1837, when specie payments were suspended, and many of these tokens have reference - often satirical - to the events of this period. But the term has now grown to encompass any token minted during this period, even if it is merely a store card, and is now simply a convenience for collectors. The majority of these tokens actually circulated as cents (and, in one instance, as a half cent), including the store cards. The pieces attacking President Jackson (portrayed as a wild boar or a jackass) are quite common in worn condition. The tokens of this period have been the subject of several books (the current standard reference is Hard Times Tokens by Russell Rulau, Second Edition) and bring the highest prices of any American tokens after the Colonial period; $6,000 was paid for a single token at the March 26-27, 1980 Garrett Sale, and many other tokens brought four-figure prices.

Attachments

• 2large 006.jpg
    2large 006.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 400
  • 2large 007.jpg
    2large 007.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 368

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.I have a dozen or so HTT's myself.I'm starting a small collection.I didn't dig them all though,just the first one I got.Found in Savannah last summer,I thought it was a large cent,so I soaked it in olive oil for about 4 months and only then I was able to tell it was a HTT,listed as low#148.As for yours,there are many different pattern variations for the Liberty-not one cent design.From what I can see yours is listed as lows# 33.I may be wrong but I believe that i'm seeing all on your token.Once again nice unique find,don't see too many of these dug.Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread