Token for WHAT ???

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody ever hear of H.F.R. ? and what was the ten for, ten dollars, ten cents or ten beers? Odd that nothing else was included on it for having a fancy sunburst embossing. Looks like brass, but does not show any patina like all other brass I've dug. This is how it was found. Thanks for looking.

DSC09276.JPG DSC09277.JPG

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The reverse side with the denomination in the center and rays around is typical of the Dorman manufacturing company of Baltimore, MD. They made tokens for a lot of businesses in the eastern part of the country in the late 1800s and into the early part of the 1900s. The denomination was indicative of 10¢, btw. Finding out who used it will be a real challenge, given only the initials of the proprietor. I'd advise posting it on tokencatalog.com to let more eyes see it.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reverse side with the denomination in the center and rays around is typical of the Dorman manufacturing company of Baltimore, MD. They made tokens for a lot of businesses in the eastern part of the country in the late 1800s and into the early part of the 1900s. The denomination was indicative of 10¢, btw. Finding out who used it will be a real challenge, given only the initials of the proprietor. I'd advise posting it on tokencatalog.com to let more eyes see it.
John in the Great 208

Thank you kind sir for the info, I will take your advise and post there, next opportunity.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
My copy of Schenkman's MD Merchant Tokens just arrived and, unfortunately, your H. F. R. token is not shown in it.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My copy of Schenkman's MD Merchant Tokens just arrived and, unfortunately, your H. F. R. token is not shown in it.
John in the Great 208

Thanks for checking. I will still try the tokencatalog site you tipped me onto though. THX

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread