Token Guys And Girls I Need Help, I Dont Usally Find Tokens

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found This Trade Token Today, Would Like Any Info Anyone Can Give Me On This One. Nickel Size. 5 cent on front and 20081 on reverse 1214141743.jpg 1214141743b.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several posts in the archives on numbered tokens. Mackaydon has a link, I think, and hopefully will post. They are slot machine tokens and it is doubtful whether we will ever know the full story behind them.
John in the Great 208

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
They seemed to be used quite a bit in the 20's and 30's. I've found about a

dozen of them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are slot machine tokens and it is doubtful whether we will ever know the full story behind them.
John in the Great 208
I agree. Supposedly the numbers represent individual machines, machine operators or businesses, according to Alpert and Elman. But as it's worded, I don't think they even know for sure.

OP
OP
P@tch

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody I didn't have a clue what it was used for but I can plainly see myself sitting at the bar drinking a frosty beverage and smoking a fine cigar dropping nickels in the machine trying to win a token for another round. Thanks for the enlightenment.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
I have heard of this sort of holes token as arcade or a lot machine.
To add to the 'might never know' reality...there were a couple of die makers (Ingle & Orco) that had their name on machines designed use with scrip. They had exposed tubes for denominations with a device allowing individual tokens drop out! There are version I know of that have drawer and with just open divided fixed trays 'presumably' to hold coinage 'maybe' when taken in or tokens!

Anyway the registers are in same realm as those newspaper boy dispensers we use to carry on our belt.... Remember old guys?

My whole point of the register is to say there has been found a dollar size token with a substantial size hole (now I should know more & may ask someone to learn more) but the use thought to have been use as a very simple accounting device. Load tube with twenty tokens, dispense til holed token comes through then add more!

The Ingle register is very elaborate with stamped brass top "crown name plate type thing with their name", nice oak draws, a flat oak or marble flat piece under dispensing levers....I'll find a picture, wish I hadn't sold mine! The Orco is extremely more simple with denom tubes open....a picture will be added later!

So round & round the token you found is nothing like what I am telling about but it reminded me of it and somehow the round hole could have some comparable use?

Hope to post some pics later!
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread