Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.
In recent years, I've found a few interesting tokens.
This past weekend, I was at a local antique shop and overheard two men talking about "good for" tokens. I introduced myself and explained being a metal detectorist.
I asked them about a good token reference book. Both recommended Krause.
I'm having trouble locating, even used.
Where might I find a copy?
Thanks
Peace ✌

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Cincy--That is the book, all right. It might be a disappointment, though, if you are interested in 20th Century trade tokens, however. Note the date range on the book: 1700-1900. It is a good general reference for the dates it covers. I know you asked about a general reference, but we might be able to point you toward other options if we knew your interests a little more specifically. "Good For" tokens are generally after the Civil War, and most of them are from the 20th Century. Are you interested in specific states? If so, which. You might also look at tokencatalog.com and from the green search page, pull down "resources" from the "additional info" menu box at the top.
John in the Great 208

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
Idahotokens said it well. Good Fors primarily are 20th century, maybe 1880. The hobby of numismatic is broad, most collectors specialize.

Many token books are specific as to their use, such as dairy, pool hall, saloon, coal mine, lumber co....etc! Also, there are many "State" specific books, that cover all tokens. Many have multiple editions.

Needless to say one can build a library quickly.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all.
The main reason I want a serious token reference book is that I don't have one, and I've been considering starting a collection of local turn of the century tokens.
Also, last year I dug an 1864 Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant campaign token. Upon initial research, I realized how many different "die" varieties were struck.
I was incorrectly told the aforementioned " Krause" book was no longer printed and would cost approximately $140.
Thanks again.
I really appreciate the assistance.
Peace ✌

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Cincy--For "local" tokens, there is Ohio Merchant Tokens by the late Gaylor Lipscomb. The second edition shows up on eBay every now and then. Dale Wilges and several others are working on a third edition, but we don't have a date for it yet. Kentucky has never had a book, although I understand somebody has put together a northern KY list. I'm trying to track that down.
John

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks idahotokens.
Funny you mention Kentucky. One of guys I spoke with purchased a few Ky tokens at the time. Said he's presently concentrating on N.Ky tokens. Even gave me his card and asked me to keep an eye out for 'em. Strange I thought.
I just quickly viewed tokencatalog.com. Great site.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread