Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dug this right before dark. Its larger than a quarter and rings like silver. Any clues? IMG_20150316_202644.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ty--one of a number of varieties of Masonic "Pennies". R. A. M. = Royal Arch Mason. The SGC initials in the center are the initials of the man who received this pocket piece when he was "made a Mason". There is currently underway work on a national book on Masonic pennies and shekels.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT It seems like a silver coin. Are the made in silver?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm... I don't really know - I've only seen brass/copper. But maybe this is a sheckel (which I don't know a lot about either, but sounds like a cut above a penny). I just looked in the 1901 online book, Masonic Chapter Pennies by Dr. B. P. Wright - that is the most recent catalog of them (!) - and it lists that one as brass, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that being the case for your. Anybody else know for sure?
John

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I just looked through that same book. I believe this is a shekel. I saw some that were made of copper and had cut corners like this with the same reverse. If its not silver its silver plate. Its heavy and has that distinct silver ring to it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The reverse image is that of a coin minted during the Jewish War (66-70CE) That coin's composition was silver. More specifically, your item's image is similar to that of a coin issued during Year 2 (67-68CE) and it is so designated as a "Year 2" coin from the Jewish War of 66-70 CE.
The image is that of a 'temple vessel' surrounded by the Palaeo-Hebrew inscription "Shekel of Israel" (if it were to weigh about 14 grams; or about half that for a 'half a shekel'.
Don.....

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I appreciate your help. There still is a Mt Zion lodge in Ga. Its website says it was established I believe in 1887. This says instituted in 1843. I emailed Mt Zion and email came back undeliverable. I then sent email to the Ga Grand Lodge seeking info. I'll let ya know should I get reply.

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
From Atlanta Georgia. It might be silver, is might be some type of white metal or nickel. The the shekel is one of the many styles of Masonic tokens.
This isn't one of the known varieties on the TokenCatalog site, where a 13,000 token collection is being recorded.
Is it ok to post your images there? Thanks

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Silver masonic chapter pennies are almost always marked as such. If you run a search for R.A.M. STERLING on tokencatalog, you will find a number of examples. If yours doesn't have such a mark, it's probably white metal.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver masonic chapter pennies are almost always marked as such. If you run a search for R.A.M. STERLING on tokencatalog, you will find a number of examples. If yours doesn't have such a mark, it's probably white metal.
Someone suggested I email Tom Carson his reply about Masonic shekels ..........."There are a lot of them that are silver, sterling and plate."

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Brad I've found a handful of tokens over the years mostly mill and store variety but I have to say this one got me excited the most. I never realized this kind of token existed and thanks to Idaho and others for all the help. It seems like a boatload of varieties of Masonic shekels and pennies were made. It has to be quite an undertaking for those that are cataloging them.

midnightcamaro

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
upstate SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea....it amazes me to read through some of these posts....im always thinking "how do these people know all this!!" Lol. And tylerbdad id go nuts if I found something that cool lol

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea....it amazes me to read through some of these posts....im always thinking "how do these people know all this!!" Lol. And tylerbdad id go nuts if I found something that cool lol
Brad I promise that you will start finding stuff like I say the more you learn your machine the Luckier you will get. Just takes time and patience. Just keep swinging

midnightcamaro

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
upstate SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan to....im still having a blast regardless what I find....everything is a treasure to me lol

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find TBD!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread