Old token found

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All'
This is my first post in this section. Saturday my wife and I where detecting in a corn field that had at one time been part of a Uinoi civil war camp. In this field my wife found a brass or copper token (about the size of a nickel) that says JOS. PFITZER 5 Cts on it. I could find no information on this one online. Is there anyone here that might know what and how old it is? It is thin (about half the thickness of a modern penny) and may have been attached to something at one time. There is nothing else on the back. I have no idea if it is CW period or not but would love to know more about it. Thanks in advance for any and all comments or information.

JimK

Attachments

• token.JPG
    token.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 83

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
As posted in your other post for this:
The Jos. Pfitzer token looks to me to be from a Cincinnati maker and I find a Joseph Pfitzer who is listed in the 1880 Census and in the 1891 Cincy City Directory as having a saloon and boarding house in Riverside, Hamilton County, OH. I'll check in the draft 3rd edition of the OH token catalog when I get a chance, but I'll wager this is where the token is from. Is where you found it within the "sphere of influence" of Cincinnati?
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As posted in your other post for this:
The Jos. Pfitzer token looks to me to be from a Cincinnati maker and I find a Joseph Pfitzer who is listed in the 1880 Census and in the 1891 Cincy City Directory as having a saloon and boarding house in Riverside, Hamilton County, OH. I'll check in the draft 3rd edition of the OH token catalog when I get a chance, but I'll wager this is where the token is from. Is where you found it within the "sphere of influence" of Cincinnati?
John in the Great 208

I thank you again for this information. I posted this before I saw it in my Todays Finds post. But yes we are inCentral Kentucky not really far from Cinci.

JimK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread