Trying to Identify a Couple of Old Looking Tokens.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug two identical tokens about 4 feet apart a few nights ago. I found a few just like them for sale on Ebay and they were described as "old" amusement tokens.

They're from the Roger Williams mint but I can't find anything about them on their site. They're marked "Flickers" on the front and have a flame design on the reverse with the usual "No Cash Value" message.

Here's a pic. It's the back of one on the left and the front of the other on the right:

Three Old Tokens in Two Days July 27 2015 001.JPG

I've never heard of "Flickers" and can't find anything online. I do know that certain types of old tokens; particularly scrip coins for mining companies and the like, were known to many as "flickers". They were found in central Maryland btw.

If anyone can tell me anything about them I would greatly appreciate it.

I also dug this risque" "Heads I Win, Tails You Lose" coin. There are quite a few designs of this type of coin and some are still available today. I saw one just like this one with the exact same design around 1969 when I was a little kid. My brother had one.

Here's some pics of both the front and back:

Three Old Tokens in Two Days July 27 2015 002.JPG Three Old Tokens in Two Days July 27 2015 003.JPG

I accidentally scratched the front just a bit when I dug that one. It was almost dark and I just couldn't see very well. Oh well; at least I found it.
It's soaking in some olive oil for a while at this point. It should clean up fairly well.

Anyway, judging from the one I once saw I assume that this coin has to be at least from the 60's. If anyone knows anything more, I would love to hear about that as well.

Thanks for lookin' and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Bob--Only a guess on the Flickers token: DeadMalls.com: Chatham Mall: Ellicott City, Maryland, but since both it and you are in MD, the Flickers arcade there might have used these. I think the flame pictured on your piece was the logo the business used - trying to prove that will require some local research in things like ~1975-85 telephone directory yellow pages, local newspapers, etc.

No ideas on the heads-tails piece. I think they have been around for a long time, and there are lots of varieties. Somebody may have researched them, but I am not aware of anything.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bob--Only a guess on the Flickers token: DeadMalls.com: Chatham Mall: Ellicott City, Maryland, but since both it and you are in MD, the Flickers arcade there might have used these. I think the flame pictured on your piece was the logo the business used - trying to prove that will require some local research in things like ~1975-85 telephone directory yellow pages, local newspapers, etc.

No ideas on the heads-tails piece. I think they have been around for a long time, and there are lots of varieties. Somebody may have researched them, but I am not aware of anything.

John in the Great 208

Makes perfect sense. I found it about 2 miles as the crow flies from where Chatham Mall used to be.
They tore it down in the late 90's or early 2000's and built a Home Depot. The leftover stores moved to a couple of newly constructed strip malls on the same property.

Thankfully, one of my favorite music stores was in the mall but they stayed. They've always sold guitar strings as a "buy one, get one" deal and still do.

Thanks so much. Even though they're not old at least I know what they are. I'm sure there is some nostalgia associated with them for some folks who grew up hanging out at Flickers arcade.

The shopping center is called "Chatham Station" now.

I've never been a gamer so I never even heard of Flickers despite going to that mall many, many times including many nights at the Chatham Lounge. That was a bar/night spot where some musician friends of mine had a regular gig.

Heck, I still go to that shopping center to the music store and GNC. I used to go to Radio Shack as well but they're gone now too.

So another mystery has been solved on T'Net. Thanks again. You d'man when it comes to tokens.

Last edited:

Yankeecub

Jun 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are from flickers I think I still have a few rolling around in an old jar. I worked there in 1992 along with the dugout across the hall. It address was 9200 Baltimore national pike Elliott city md 21042 the owner at that time was Ms. Jean can't remember last name. The owner of the dugout took it over and changed the name I forget it now he made it 2$ to play all u wanted at the time people thought that was expensive it lasted 2 years then closed in 1997 I think. Hope that helps. Dave

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes they are from flickers I think I still have a few rolling around in an old jar. I worked there in 1992 along with the dugout across the hall. It address was 9200 Baltimore national pike Elliott city md 21042 the owner at that time was Ms. Jean can't remember last name. The owner of the dugout took it over and changed the name I forget it now he made it 2$ to play all u wanted at the time people thought that was expensive it lasted 2 years then closed in 1997 I think. Hope that helps. Dave

So are you still in MD?? I'm in the Woodstock/Granite area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread