Aluminum Token Morris Brown Drug Co

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT pro and XP Deus
I found this token in Thomasville , GA. Unfortunately it is badly corroded. I believe it is for the Morris Brown Drug Co of Bainbridge, GA. I found them in several listings of drug stores from around 1910. I actually live in Bainbridge which is about 40 miles from Thomasville. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451065456.991505.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451065474.423219.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find - too bad the ground was so hard on it. I don't see it listed in the GA token book or on tokencatalog.com (you might want to post it there). I do see the company listed in a 1911 druggist directory. My theory on drug stores using soda tokens is that early drug stores often had soda fountains, so when people brought in a prescription, they were given a token to get them to go to the soda fountain rather than hanging around the prescription counter keeping the pharmacist from his/her work.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
chasu

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Hi John,
I actually found an archive of local newspapers and searched them. The Morris Brown Drug Co shows up around 1906. I also found where the former home of Morris Brown Drug Co was renovated by its new owner in 1911. I will research at the local library. How do I fill out the form on the token catalog if I have suppositions on this tokens attribution? For example, I am assuming this is a Bainbridge, Ga token since this is the only drug company I could find that comes close to what I can make out on the token.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Chas - I can make out most of GEORGIA on the bottom line of the obverse, so I would suggest listing it not as a maverick but as from Bainbridge. Put a magnifier on that area between CO. and GEORGIA to see if you can spot any letters which fit into Bainbridge. With the listing in place, then if another one shows up and proves something else, then the list owner can edit the listing. One question that probably will be unanswerable until another shows up is whether there is a comma after Bainbridge. Having one would be typical. So the obverse listing would look like:

MORRIS - BROWN / DRUG / CO. / BAINBRIDGE, / GEORGIA

As far as the research info you have, put it in the Attribution Notes section when you get to the Contribute screen where you do the posting.

John

OP
OP
chasu

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Hi John,
I added this to the token catalog and also included the Fanlew Trading Co token from Fanlew, FL that I found previously. Thanks for all of your help.
charlie

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few aluminum tokens in plowed fields in Lee County Georgia. They were corrected very badly too. I got a "Dawson Ga. Pharmacy good for 5 cents in trade" token that would have been awesome but, I believe that the fertilizer got to it before for me.

OP
OP
chasu

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
I have found a few aluminum tokens in plowed fields in Lee County Georgia. They were corrected very badly too. I got a "Dawson Ga. Pharmacy good for 5 cents in trade" token that would have been awesome but, I believe that the fertilizer got to it before for me.
This came out of non fertilized ground. A brass token from the same place was in much better shape. Tokens are some of my favorite finds. They help me learn about the local history. This token has led me to the GA newspaper archive and the library where I found people's recorded memories of Bainbridge from around 1900.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread