token id

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ferguson's Iowa Trade Tokens book shows just a 50¢ denomination from this business, but typical general stores like this used denominatioins from 5¢ through $1.00. There is no historical information given in the book, but these tokens were often used in two ways, sometimes both at the same time. First, the store bought produce like butter and eggs from local farmers. The store paid for the produce with cash at a discount or in tokens. The farmer would then buy goods from the store with the tokens. Secondly, and probably more likely in a coal town, workers could borrow against their wages and the store would advance them money in the form of the tokens. The worker could then buy necessities from the store with them.
John in ID

OP
OP
R

raidersfans4

Apr 18, 2005
iowa
thanks for id. have another one from the same hunting spot .says palace billard parlor on one side,the other saysgood for 21/2cents in trade. ant id on this one? bobby

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Mavericks with common names like the Palace Billiard Hall are extremely tough to attribute with any degree of certainty. However, Ferguson does list two varieties in his book as being from Ottumwa, IA. The descriptions are:
PALACE / BILLIARD / HALL
GOOD FOR / 2½¢ / IN TRADE
25mm Rd Br

One has a line circle around the border on the reverse and the other has a circle of dots around the border.

If yours matches one of these descriptions and it was found reasonably close to Ottumwa, then the chances are pretty good that attribution is okay. I think I might have the negative of a photo of the obverse of the one he listed and could compare it with yours if you can post a pic.

John in ID

OP
OP
R

raidersfans4

Apr 18, 2005
iowa
John, your right on the button again. You described it exactly. Ottumwa is approximately 50 miles away. Where can I buy one of those Ferguson books? Thanks for you help! HH Bobby

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The book, Iowa Trade Tokens, by Lewis K. Ferguson was published by the Token and Medal Society in 1984, but it is sold out. I do see Amazon.com has a copy for sale. There is a fellow named Gary Henderson who is working on a new IA token book, but I don't know his schedule.
John in ID

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
a coal book i have has the nickle dime and quarter listed as R9. the $1.oo is unlisted. good find. i am a new member going back through listings to see if i can help id or generate contacts for tokens. mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread