Charleston, SC $1.10 Tuxbury trade token

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This the biggest token I've seen yet. Seems copper but there is no way I'm going to check myself. The detail is awesome. Can some tell me more about this or where I can find out.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice token, but the reference to Charleston, SC is not correct. Yours is not the same as the ones listed in the SC Trade Tokens book and on tokencatalog. Please crop and post your pics on tokencatalog and let's see if someone can come up with the correct location for this one. It is brass, by the way.
John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
After doing a little more research, Charleston may be appropriate after all. I find a 1947 obituary for Wilbur L. Spruill who had been owner of the Tuxbury Mercantile Company. The 1934 Charleston, SC City Directory lists Spruill as a clerk for the A. C. Tuxbury Lumber Co. I'll check with the SC Token cataloger to see what he says. Did you find it anywhere near Charleston?
John

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Tony Chibbaro, the SC token cataloger, agreed that this is Charleston. He says he also has one.
John

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a block away from Hampton park Charleston, SC. I found two in very good condition. Plus I found other awesome relics trying to figure them out. Doing some yard work so I was able to spend two years looking in our yard. More trash then anything. Does your friend know what it's made from? Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know very much on trade tokens but I believe this is the best token I've ever seen. Looking for a value so I can either trade or let one go.

OP
OP
L

Lakota

Dec 2, 2016
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it belong to Tuxbury longing company. Not sure although.

awdw

Jun 19, 2017
Awendaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuxbury was a very large logging company. There were logging camp "towns" set up with company stores that only took those tokens. My great grandfather worked for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread