NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been kicking around the idea of putting this token up for sale... It's on the Token Catalog website, so if you search for it online and that comes up, it's this same one. What I'm wondering is : Since this seems to be the only known example of this token, what kind of value might it have? Are there any specifics to include in a description other than the wording on it, and is there a better place than Ebay?

If it's only worth a few bucks I'll just hang on to it, but I've seen a few fetching some nice $$ and it would be nice to turn it into a little something extra for my daughters birthday. And really it's just sitting in a cabinet here, and I'm sure there's some collectors that would love to own it...

pics :

token3.jpg token4.jpg

Also mods.... I'm not trying to sell it on here, just looking for advice

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ken--I do think eBay gives you the most and best exposure to collectors who are wanting to add to their collections. Use your pics and be sure it has the words rifle, oyster, and saloon in the title. It would bring more if you could firm up the NOLA attribution with a directory listing - then you can add the town and state in the title as well. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find something. Also on eBay, don't worry if there aren't a lot of bids at the get-go. It seems like a lot of token collectors use a sniping service so their bid is put in at the very end. I have seen tokens languish along at a dollar or so, then go for hundreds in the last minute.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I have tried several times to find any record of the place here but had no luck. I'll do a bit more research too and see if maybe I just missed something.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Token Bob here in Klamath Falls, Oregon buys tokens.....Just type in tokenbob/Klamathfallsoregon. He's a pretty good guy. Also, [email protected]

Last edited:

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
I second the ebay idea. Also the last minute snipe bids are very common.

Thats a heck of a token, in nice condition. The fact it has saloon is critical.

Mavericks attributed are better also I agree & ur photo is good for bidders.

Listing the millimeter size of the diameter is helpful. Showing the edge can be.
Good luck!
Mike

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on an approximate date for this thing? I'm looking through city directories and if I had some idea of a time frame that might help

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Ken--

The word "saloon" was pretty much dropped from common usage when Prohibition was put into effect. Nationally that was 1920, but a lot of areas instituted it earlier via "local option". I would be surprised if NOLA went earlier, but the chance exists that it is from somewhere else. The style of the piece suggests ~1905-1915 to me, but I am not really familiar with what LA tokens look like.
John
Any thoughts on an approximate date for this thing? I'm looking through city directories and if I had some idea of a time frame that might help

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
The biggest collectors pay the most, if they have it the price drops a lot.
You said it was rare but the collectors know for sure.
The town, state not on it hurts badly. Attribution helps of course.

The Rifleman name could really help who doesn't like "The Rifleman"...
I don't collect saloon, only scrip from a very few states. So not know prices.
Saloon tokens are one of the more higher dollar figure. Which collectors need
& want it will determine the price. Only a few pay the big bucks.

intimer

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after trying a lot of different methods I still came up empty on the research. Even the historic society could not find the place, but they said that's not surprising to them since saloons and bars tended to be listed by the name of the proprietor rather than the name of the place in the old city directories. So, I've decided to pass it along to a collector and use the proceeds to buy something nice for my daughter. I listed it on ebay this morning if anyone wants to have a look.

Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread