Found an uncataloged Massachusetts token today.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting in the woods today and found a really grungy brass token. It was so bad that I had to clean it with a Brillo pad just to ID it! It's a token for "Billy D's Fun Center" in Bellingham, Massachusetts. I found it in Glocester, RI, which isn't all that close to Bellingham.

Checked it on the token catalog website and it's not listed, so I guess I found something decent today. I wish it was in better condition, but that's the way it goes when you dig them out of the ground.

If anyone from MA remembers this place, please let me know. I'd love to know how old it is. I did a Google search, but couldn't find any info about Billy D's.

DSC07161.JPG DSC07156.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Token collectable books; token clubs; Tnet.....SOMEONE might know, or know of a book that can help.
Try other forums as well, to get the request out maximally...!
Neat Find!
Good Luck + Happy Hunting!

PS - try this website
TokenCatalog.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did look for it on the token catalog website, but they didn't have it posted. Only one token for Bellingham, MA (actually a wooden nickel).

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just surprised I couldn't find any info about Billy D's Fun Center. Maybe it only lasted a few years and went belly up. I'll keep looking...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dig deeper: Contact the Bellingham public library's reference desk (508-966-1660) and ask them. If they don't know, ask for the number, Email address,etc. of the Bellingham historian. Also check with the reference desk at the Norfolk County Library 508-528-3380 and ask them. If they don't know, ask for the name, phone and Email of the county historian.
Usually, the more obscure the item, the deeper the research requirement.
Don.......

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just surprised I couldn't find any info about Billy D's Fun Center. Maybe it only lasted a few years and went belly up. I'll keep looking...

Most of the video arcades of the 1980s and later didn't last too long.
John

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So please post yours there.
John in the Great 208

I'll work on that. Have to remember my handle and password for that site. The only one I ever posted there was a Club Frontenac token that I found last year.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other tokens of similar design aren't all that old......all within the last 30-40 years.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're probably correct. All the coins I've found in this spot are from the 1970's and early 1980's.

JessicaWalsh

Aug 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tim! Great find - I grew up in Bellingham and I remember Billy D's Fun Center fondly. My dad and I used to go on Thursday nights. I believe I went there when I was around 7-8 years old which would have made it around the time of 1989 - 1990. It was located in the Shopping Centre at Bellingham Common behind the Dairy Queen on North Main Street and it is now home to the Bellingham Police Youth Center or the now closed Indian Market which was right next door to it. (15 North Main Street, Bellingham, MA 02019)

I remember they were only open a little over a year and Im not sure if Im correct but I remember there being something "scandalous" that happened there that made it close - a fire, fraud, tax evasion, bankruptcy or something of that nature - I apologize for having a foggy memory but I was very young at that time. Ill ask my family who still lives in Bellingham if they remember any details of the closing, etc.

It was a standard arcade - air hockey, skeeball, lots of games, a token machine and a prize counter for exchanging tickets. I also remember they had kids birthdays there. Random info but I hope it was somewhat interesting :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread