C. SP. / Good for 5 At Bart - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: C. SP. / Good for 5 At Bart

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2003
    1035 times
    Coulda Cuda - we may never know.
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Instead of the guys name, could the SP simply stand for Saint Paul? Maybe it was short for "Cheers in Saint Paul" or something similar.

us
    Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
    1600 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by idahotokens View Post
    Iron--at the time, ~1907-1910, was the location of Spilker's saloon in South St. Paul, Inver Grove, or what?
    John
    East side of Concord, 11 doors south of Grand Avenue in South St. Paul. The 1908 City Directory has the same thing, only he was 13 doors south. 1909 has the same as 1908. He is not listed in 1911 and I don't have access to 1910.

That would be South St Paul. It sounds as though he moved south a bit.

In the 1900 Census he is listed in Inver Grove as "saloon keeper and in 1912 he is shown as "saloon & boarding house". He died 12 Aug 1915.

I stopped at Cameron's Liquor Store this afternoon. Cameron's has been a name in Inver Grove for several generations. Steve Cameron (I believe that was his name) told me that there used to be a Spilker Hotel right across the street from where the liquor store is located! He said it burned down in 1948, but had been vacant for a long time before that.
    Last edited by Iron Buzz; Jul 02, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
    idahotokens likes this.

us
    Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    1600 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Instead of the guys name, could the SP simply stand for Saint Paul? Maybe it was short for "Cheers in Saint Paul" or something similar.
    Doubtful. Too many pieces of this puzzle fit perfectly. Also, South St. Paul is not simply the south part of the city of St. Paul... it is a town in its own right.
    idahotokens likes this.

us
    Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    1600 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Idahotokens, you wrote "He died 12 Aug 1915". Where did you get that information from? The city directory? That date is causing me a bit of trouble, since if that was Charley Jr, that would have him dead at 31 years. Not that it couldn't have been, but even for those days, that is pretty young. Also bothers me that the guy from the liquor store (verified by my 93 year old neighbor) said that the Spilker hotel was still standing, by that name, in the 1940's.

My 93 year old neighbor, by the way, believes that he remembers the bar. That bothers me a bit, too, since he was born in 1924.

Of course, these places can keep the original owner's name for a long time after they die, I guess.

us
    Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    1600 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Buzz View Post
    OK, the librarian at the county historical museum helped me out with the discrepancies on Charley Sr.'s death. The newspaper printed a retraction the next day. The suicide victim was one "Frederick Ronnebert, who committed suicide by taking poison at Spiker's summer garden. The dispatch send the coroner was misleading, and the inference, in his opinion, was that it referred to Spilker. Ronneberg had been drinking rather heavily of late, owing to alleged domestic troubles."

So, Charles Spilker Sr did indeed die in 1915, and his son took over the Spilker hotel (which I've managed to find a photo of).
    idahotokens likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7396 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Buzz View Post
    Doubtful. Too many pieces of this puzzle fit perfectly. Also, South St. Paul is not simply the south part of the city of St. Paul... it is a town in its own right.
    If true, why wouldn't the token have S.SP instead of SP?
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    1600 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If true, why wouldn't the token have S.SP instead of SP?
    Fair question. Depending on when it was issued (which we haven't yet determined), South St Paul may not have existed. I'm not sure of the date off-hand, but it was simply considered part of St Paul up to some point (also known as the village of Kaposia, but that referred more to the home of the local Dakota tribe )

Contrary to what Idahotokens found in the city directories, the historical museum director found Spiker, Charles listed under saloons in the 1885 Polks, address of 235 Concord, which would roughly coincide with the "11-13 doors down from Grand Ave" that he found in later directories. I also found that he sold it on 1888 to a Louis Becker, and that in 1886, he opened the Spilker Hotel in nearby Inver Grove Heights, about 3 miles south on Concord.

Thanks for your interest, and for challenging me on this. It is a lot of fun trying to play detective here!
    idahotokens likes this.

us
    Oct 2016
    South St Paul, MN
    1600 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Incidentally, I have found this Library of Congress site to be an amazing resource for researching old newspaper stories!

Edit: Oops,sorry... forgot the link!

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
    Last edited by Iron Buzz; Jul 06, 2017 at 08:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links