Anyone able to tell me about these?

tektin

Feb 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these a while ago and can't find anything on them. I hope someone here can

thumbnail_image1.jpg thumbnail_image2.jpg This one is a little bigger than a half dollar

thumbnail_image3.jpg thumbnail_image4.jpg Size of a quarter with blank back

thumbnail_image5.jpg thumbnail_image6.jpg Size of a quarter

Thanks

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
Where did you find these? It would help to narrow down the search for an attribution. The F.W. Mann piece is from around 1882-1886 based on the dies used. Would it be ok to post your images on the TokenCatalog website...

OP
OP
T

tektin

Feb 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you find these? It would help to narrow down the search for an attribution. The F.W. Mann piece is from around 1882-1886 based on the dies used. Would it be ok to post your images on the Token Catalog website...

Yes you can post them. They were found in various towns in Minnesota. The tag was found in Dassel Minnesota.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tektin

Feb 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think too many would know much about these.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom one has got to be 1800s. The middle one quite possibly 1800s as well, but it looks to me like its a little younger than the one at the bottom. If not 1800s very early 1900s. (I seem to remember seeing other tokens like that that were made in the 1890s or so, same basic design but with different names and denominations and so forth.) The thing at top is some sort of tag. Maybe a miner's tag? But I cant remember seeing any old miners tags with that kind of hole. Theyre usually round. Dassel could be the surname of a German employee? 1879 appears to be the date. If you found the tokens near that tag thats an excellent way to date them. Really cool finds. And did you find these in Illinois?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tektin

Feb 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. These were all found in Minnesota.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
I am pretty sure that top one dated 1879 is a dog tax tag (dog license tag). I forwarded the picture to Dr. William Bone (the author of the book US DOG LICENSE TAGS) . . . we'll see what he thinks! Very cool finds!

Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread