For fans of CA saloon tokens:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Got this token from a demolition site in Monterey county, CA. Says:

"Good for 25c in Trade"

+

"Good Humor Saloon / Jas Franscioni / Soledad"

According to the 1976 Kappen book, that's $30. Which is on the rarer end of their scale. The book tops out at $37, if I'm not mistaken. So the rule of thumb to account for inflation since 1976, has been to go 4x to 6x on the rarer ones (small town saloons). So that should make this a $100+ token , eh ?

20170803_095940.jpg

20170803_095823.jpg

I'm not a token collector, so here's a shameless pitch, for if anyone cares to bid on it :)

Soledad, CA trade token, Jas Franscioni, Good Humor Saloon | eBay

[/FONT]

coachmike

Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In good condition this token should be in the 100-125 range. Nice find.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey gang, the token didn't move on ebay. No bids. OF ALL THE NERVE ! :laughing7: haha

So here's a shameless pitch: If anyone's interested in this token, PM me. I'm not a token collector. So will entertain any fair offers.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only collect tokens that I dig.

I can't tell... one side looks like aluminum and the other like copper. What metal is it?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hi Iron-buzz. Does one side look like aluminum ? It must've been the lighting @ the photo.

The token is entirely copper/brass.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there was a James Franscioni in Cali in 1896.

No idea if the Token goes back that far

The San Francisco call. (San Francisco [Calif.]) 1895-1913, August 03, 1896, Page 10, Image 10 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

and a J. A. A. Franscioni in 1913.

The San Francisco call. (San Francisco [Calif.]) 1895-1913, January 19, 1913, Page 54, Image 70 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

only connections to the name Franscioni with the initial J country Wide pre 1924 I can find.

I cannot find a Good Humor Saloon

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
till I used google

Untitled.jpg

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanx Jeff ! Yes I saw those citations. I have spoken personally to descendants of the Franscioni clan that still live in the Soledad CA area to this day. There was apparently a few different family's by that name that originated from Italy/Sicily that settled into dairy industry in the area @ the turn-of-century-ish.

This is the 2nd one of these tokens I've found. I don't recall if the other was 5c or 25c. That was about 15 or 20 yrs. ago. And had tracked down a descendant of the family clan at that time.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in 1896 25cents was worth about 3.00 bucks in today's inflation

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, found a Saloon token from the "Brick Saloon" Gault Calif. Can't find anything on that either. Love old tokens, but same as Iron Buzz, only the ones I dig. Really nice find Tom.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
It would actually be over twice that much and just shy of 7 bucks.

Yes. Which is why there is not normally denominations of tokens at 25c, till more modern times (1940s? '50s? and later). So at first when I saw the 25c, I figured it was a more modern token. But a cursory check on the proprietor's info. showed it was indeed older. Like teens at the latest ?

Normally teens and earlier tokens are of the 2.5c, 5c, and 10c value.

Years ago, found a Saloon token from the "Brick Saloon" Gault Calif. Can't find anything on that either. Love old tokens, but same as Iron Buzz, only the ones I dig. Really nice find Tom.

You mean "Galt", not "Gault", right ? I don't see that one listed anywhere. But since so few tokens are listed for Galt (small town), and since the few saloon or bar tokens from there are higher-priced, then your un-listed one should share those same high values. Eg.: $100 or more I'd say.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct Tom, "Galt". Reverse is "Good for a 10c drink". The only 2 1/2c token I have is "Jack Merry's" Pool Room, Mojave, CA. Tokens are a neat personal piece of history, now, as in many things we find, if only they could talk.........

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Good to hear from you sp-railroad. Yes, I would rather find a trade token than a seated or Barber coin most of the time.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
sp-railroad, you do know that the Mojave token is listed in Kappens original 1976 book, right ? But it's only in the 5c denomination. Not the 2-1/2 c denomination. He has it at $15. Which is about 1/2-way up his rarity scale. If you have a unique 2.5c denomination (if all other knowns are 5c) then I'd think collectors would bid it up even higher than a mid-scale rating. Eg.: Easily $100, if not more.

But as you know with tokens: It all depends on how many are viewing your piece at the time. Unlike coin collecting, token collecting, on a geographical scale, is a niche thing. Which can be a good thing in that it could drive up value. Or a bad thing in-that there could be times when too few are in-the-market for certain geographic areas or "types". (speaking from a sellers-viewpoint, that is).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread