can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My identified 5 cents in trade token

Here is the other token I found this summer. Hoping one of you all can help me ID it. It was found in Prairie du Chien this August. 20170827_165037.jpg
20170827_165025.jpg

Edit: a quick second treasure net search yielded me the results Google could not. I answered my own question already. LOL!

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Numbered tokens: This particular type of token was used as a payout from slot machines used all over the U.S. and probably Canada as well. The number represents a "route" of slot machines owned by a particular operator. The machines were set up to receive nickels (no hole) and pay out tokens (hole) when a winning combination came up. The tokens could then be used to purchase candy, cigars, etc. from the cigar store or pool hall where the machine was placed. Periodically, the route man would come around to service the machine, refill it with tokens, remove the nickels from the money box, and then settle up with the business owner. Every token (with the right number) that the business had received for selling merchandise would go back into the machine. The business knew in advance not to take tokens with the wrong number as the route man would not give very much money for them. I suppose there were "exchanges" in some areas where the route operators exchanged tokens to get them back to the right route operator. Tokens that customers carried out (like the one you found) equaled profit for the operator and the business. The business received a pre-agreed percentage of the take. Unfortunately we probably will never find out who and where the numbers represent. It should be noted that there are similar numbered tokens without the hole that were used in machines designed differently. Such tokens were in common use ca. ~1910-40.
John in the Great 208
Pardon my "canned answer" but this has been asked numerous times...

OP
OP
can_slaw

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Numbered tokens: This particular type of token was used as a payout from slot machines used all over the U.S. and probably Canada as well. The number represents a "route" of slot machines owned by a particular operator. The machines were set up to receive nickels (no hole) and pay out tokens (hole) when a winning combination came up. The tokens could then be used to purchase candy, cigars, etc. from the cigar store or pool hall where the machine was placed. Periodically, the route man would come around to service the machine, refill it with tokens, remove the nickels from the money box, and then settle up with the business owner. Every token (with the right number) that the business had received for selling merchandise would go back into the machine. The business knew in advance not to take tokens with the wrong number as the route man would not give very much money for them. I suppose there were "exchanges" in some areas where the route operators exchanged tokens to get them back to the right route operator. Tokens that customers carried out (like the one you found) equaled profit for the operator and the business. The business received a pre-agreed percentage of the take. Unfortunately we probably will never find out who and where the numbers represent. It should be noted that there are similar numbered tokens without the hole that were used in machines designed differently. Such tokens were in common use ca. ~1910-40.
John in the Great 208
Pardon my "canned answer" but this has been asked numerous times...

This was the "canned" answer i found on here a few minutes after posting this one. I had google searched the token, but to no avail. Thank you for the response, to make sure i found the correct answer. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread