73.5 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
C

cgdigger

Feb 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet another example of history gone forever. Joe's must be pretty old, as a 5 cent discount wouldn't get too far any time in the last half century or so.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
It is listed in the Crawford-Farber LA token book with the comment that they could not find a directory listing to show who/when/what. It is listed on tokencatalog with "image needed" - with your permission, I could add your pic there.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
C

cgdigger

Feb 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho, you have my permission, with pleasure. I can rotate the images and send them if you have trouble doing it yourself.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
heck of a nice token with loads of history.
the new Orleans museum is a source to contact.
they really appreciate their local history, & very kind.
they might like to have images of the token.

mike

OP
OP
C

cgdigger

Feb 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Intimer. You mean the Historic New Orleans Collection?

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
Can’t say I remember specifically.
i had found locally, at some sale many years ago, a few pages that were a hand written listing of lumber, door & windows to build a specific home, specific address, in New Orleans, with measurements & qty of each item. It was on a hardware store letterhead, dated 1915-20, if I recall correctly...maybe there was something else.
I kept it for years, it was cool, in great condition. Just spoke history to me.
anyway, I got online found a museum that was somewhat near the homes address and viewing their webpage seemed to fit their interests. I called them, they were so gratious, knew of the home, even who’s home it likely was built for.
meanig they appreciate much more than I, and it being local to them

I’ve learned museums appreciate the most mundane things. I came up with a small brown bag, from a downtown local sporting goods store, with a pair of new long tennis shoes, with the receipt I think. It was from the early sixties and had the name on the bag. Cool to imagine it’s history, little or no value. I kept it for years. Finally I mentioned it to our local museum which was excited to have it for their 3D collection.
anyway... whoever sees your token should have a moment of stepping back & appreciating the history.
Mike

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congratulations! :occasion14:

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
Can’t say I remember specifically.
i had found locally, at some sale many years ago, a few pages that were a hand written listing of lumber, door & windows to build a specific home, specific address, in New Orleans, with measurements & qty of each item. It was on a hardware store letterhead, dated 1915-20, if I recall correctly...maybe there was something else.
I kept it for years, it was cool, in great condition. Just spoke history to me.
anyway, I got online found a museum that was somewhat near the homes address and viewing their webpage seemed to fit their interests. I called them, they were so gratious, knew of the home, even who’s home it likely was built for.
meanig they appreciate much more than I, and it being local to them

I’ve learned museums appreciate the most mundane things. I came up with a small brown bag, from a downtown local sporting goods store, with a pair of new long tennis shoes, with the receipt I think. It was from the early sixties and had the name on the bag. Cool to imagine it’s history, little or no value. I kept it for years. Finally I mentioned it to our local museum which was excited to have it for their 3D collection.
anyway... whoever sees your token should have a moment of stepping back & appreciating the history.
Mike

Reread my above post and realized I only said long tennis shoes, in a small bag....
well actually the bag held long shoe laces like those on the old high top converse tennis shoes.
mike

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I found an 1899 ad for a Lunch Cook need for Joe's Exchange but I think the address may be a few blocks away from that on the token...? Also found this 1893 ad for the properties at 671-673 Tchoupitoulas which I think may be describing the correct location. Perhaps the "bar and billiard saloon" which is said to be on the corner.

Attachments

• joesexchange.jpg
    joesexchange.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 77
  • joesexchange2.jpg
    joesexchange2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 73

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome looking token!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread