OTT & HA USMTC Medal

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
I acquired a very old medal with the lettering OTT & HA USMTC on it and a depiction of a bearded man. A google search shows the letters most likely stand for Old Time Telegraphers & Historical Association and U.S. Military Telegraph Corps. Apparently the military telegraph corps was organized to set up battlefield telegraph lines in 1861 and disbanded shortly after the Civil War. The medal is bronze and in rough shape and for some reason I can't currently get a picture to upload. Is anyone familiar with this medal or have any more information? Thanks 20180928_121607.jpg 20180928_121622.jpg

Last edited:

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Samuel F.B. Morse would be a pretty obvious choice for something issued by a Telegrapher's Historical Society. Since it appears to have had a loop for suspension at the top, my guess would be this was part of a ribbon or badge issued either for membership or attendance at a convention. Can you read the maker's logo on the reverse? That might give a hint as to time period.

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Tokensmith, Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to read the maker's logo, even under magnification. But I think you're right. I'm going to keep trying. Thanks for your help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions