Florida Token Help

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this while detecting an old church. From what I've gathered, A.W. Corbett was the mayor of St. Augustine when it burned down. However, I cannot find any information on why he would have manufactured trade tokens. Does anyone have any info on this guy?

2.jpg 1.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool token! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the links, Jeff. Definitely a lot to sort through. I reached out to Steve Ratcliff of the Florida Trade Tokens Society, but never received a reply. Usually the trade tokens I find were actually that - trade tokens created by timber companies - and they all had a value attached. Like "good for 5 cents". I've never seen one with just a number. Hopefully I find an answer at some point. The not knowing is killing me. haha

OP
OP
F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning towards Donation or Proof of Investment
Because it doesn't name a Business.

But I've been Mistaken Before

OP
OP
F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning towards Donation or Proof of Investment
Because it doesn't name a Business.

But I've been Mistaken Before

That does make sense. I can't make any sense of it otherwise as it doesn't have a real denomination (is that cents or dollars?) and doesn't have a business name tied to it. Just a person.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one other possibility 50 Shares But again. Should say So :(

Or even Contest Drawing with all tokens Numbered Different

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet! I told you that it’s an awesome site packed with knowledgeable people. Good to hear from you again!

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
A.W. Corbett is listed as wholesale & retail grocery in the 1912 Bradstreet. The 1918 Dun just says grocery.

OP
OP
F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A.W. Corbett is listed as wholesale & retail grocery in the 1912 Bradstreet. The 1918 Dun just says grocery.

Thank you! That helps a lot. So now I'm assuming they may have been for said grocery store. Or used by timber companies who were in league with him.

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Assuming the token was used in a grocery, there would have been other denominations. Grocery stores used tokens this large either for extending credit or for purchasing stock.

OP
OP
F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming the token was used in a grocery, there would have been other denominations. Grocery stores used tokens this large either for extending credit or for purchasing stock.

So do you think it's 50 cents or 50 dollars, this token? That's one of the things that has me confused as every trade token I've seen denotes whether or not it's cents or dollars.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Please post it on tokencatalog.com or, with permission to use your pics, I could post it.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
F

feral-silence

Mar 25, 2019
Albany, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 cents. $50 would be a month's pay in 1912!

Very true. I also tend to find that most tokens match the coin denomination they mimic as far as size goes. This one is the size of a half dollar. My older brother found a 1$ token from a timber company in florida and it's the diameter of a morgan or peace. Just odd not to have "cents" stamped on it. First one I've seen like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread