Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got one that's a mystery to me. I'm not great at searching token catalog, but I tried, and didn't find anything. All it says on one side is the numbers "430" Doesn't appear to be an address. Any ideas? (found near St Paul, MN)

sHLFATW.jpg NcsAGDA.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting token! :occasion14:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
IB - here's the writeup I did several years ago on numbered tokens: This particular type of token was used as a payout from slot machines used all over the U.S. and probably Canada as well. The number represents a "route" of slot machines owned by a particular operator. The machines were set up to receive nickels (no hole) and pay out tokens (hole) when a winning combination came up. The tokens could then be used to purchase candy, cigars, etc. from the cigar store or pool hall where the machine was placed. Periodically, the route man would come around to service the machine, refill it with tokens, remove the nickels from the money box, and then settle up with the business owner. Every token (with the right number) that the business had received for selling merchandise would go back into the machine. The business knew in advance not to take tokens with the wrong number as the route man would not give very much money for them. I suppose there were "exchanges" in some areas where the route operators exchanged tokens to get them back to the right route operator. Tokens that customers carried out (like the one you found) equaled profit for the operator and the business. The business received a pre-agreed percentage of the take. Unfortunately we probably will never find out who and where the numbers represent. It should be noted that there are similar numbered tokens without the hole that were used in machines designed differently. Such tokens were in common use ca. ~1910-40.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IB - here's the writeup I did several years ago on numbered tokens: This particular type of token was used as a payout from slot machines used all over the U.S. and probably Canada as well. The number represents a "route" of slot machines owned by a particular operator. The machines were set up to receive nickels (no hole) and pay out tokens (hole) when a winning combination came up. The tokens could then be used to purchase candy, cigars, etc. from the cigar store or pool hall where the machine was placed. Periodically, the route man would come around to service the machine, refill it with tokens, remove the nickels from the money box, and then settle up with the business owner. Every token (with the right number) that the business had received for selling merchandise would go back into the machine. The business knew in advance not to take tokens with the wrong number as the route man would not give very much money for them. I suppose there were "exchanges" in some areas where the route operators exchanged tokens to get them back to the right route operator. Tokens that customers carried out (like the one you found) equaled profit for the operator and the business. The business received a pre-agreed percentage of the take. Unfortunately we probably will never find out who and where the numbers represent. It should be noted that there are similar numbered tokens without the hole that were used in machines designed differently. Such tokens were in common use ca. ~1910-40.

John in the Great 208

Thanks for the awesome reply, John. Always great to get your input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread