Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all started at a old 1800’s church I detected in Lewisburg La which is now called Madisonville La down the street from Lake Ponchatrain which separates some and New Orleans (the Ponchatrain Causeway bridge is 26 miles across and if the longest over water bridge in the world). I found this 25 Cent steamboat token and did some research. I found out it was only with us from 1910-1915 until it sank. It would bring people from New Orleans and back across Lake Ponchatrain. I couldn’t find anything else about it except a guy from New Orleans collected info and pictures of all the New Orleans Steamboats until his death in 1958 and his family donated his collection to the New Orleans library which is where I found out it sank and unfortunately the F.M. Owens had no picture attached.
So a year ago I checked EBay just encase there was anything there,which there wasn’t, so I saved it and life went on. Well last week a notification popped up and someone had actual negatives for the F.M. Owens. The seller said he thinks it’s the only ones to exist. I got 3 negatives for $20 spent another $45 having them developed on a cd the into pictures and now I have them together. But I might be holding the only pictures and token known. How exciting!! IMG_0552.jpg IMG_1740.jpg IMG_2782.jpg IMG_2783.jpg IMG_2784.jpg IMG_2785.jpg

I love this hobby. Thanks for reading
Negatives
Causeway Bridge IMG_2519.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found on Newspapers.Com...

The Tampa Tribune (Tampa, Florida)
02 Oct 1915, Sat
Known Dead in Tropical Storm Placed at 160:
Property Loss Will Run Into Millions

"...Five of the crew and a white womean aboard the steamer F. M. Owens,
which sank near Lockport, were reported missing
..."​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found on Newspapers.Com...

The Tampa Tribune (Tampa, Florida)
02 Oct 1915, Sat
Known Dead in Tropical Storm Placed at 160:
Property Loss Will Run Into Millions

"...Five of the crew and a white womean aboard the steamer F. M. Owens,
which sank near Lockport, were reported missing
..."​

VP I love when you do that. Do I have to join? Sign up or anything? I don’t see it listed.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s very cool, great job!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VP I love when you do that. Do I have to join? Sign up or anything? I don’t see it listed.
tn_metal_detector.gif
Unfortunately, it ain't free - I pay a yearly subscription.

Found a bunch of status articles - here are just two more that I found interesting...

News-Democrat (Paducah, Kentucky)
17 Dec 1910, Sat

Bankrupt Sale of Dry Docks and Steamboats

"...Excursion steamer F. M. Owens, her boilers, machinary, tackle and apparel..."
=====================
The Times-Democrat (New Orleans, Louisiana)
03 Apr 1911, Mon

Second New Steamboat Enters Trade in Month

"...The F. M. Owens, the second new steamboat to be entered in the local river trade....
...the new boat is owned by the Bradford Transportation Company, and was built last May..."​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Unfortunately, it ain't free - I pay a yearly subscription.

Found a bunch of status articles - here are just two more that I found interesting...

News-Democrat (Paducah, Kentucky)
17 Dec 1910, Sat

Bankrupt Sale of Dry Docks and Steamboats

"...Excursion steamer F. M. Owens, her boilers, machinary, tackle and apparel..."
=====================
The Times-Democrat (New Orleans, Louisiana)
03 Apr 1911, Mon

Second New Steamboat Enters Trade in Month

"...The F. M. Owens, the second new steamboat to be entered in the local river trade....
...the new boat is owned by the Bradford Transportation Company, and was built last May..."​

Thank you so much can’t wait to read. I’ll probably join :))

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all started at a old 1800’s church I detected in Lewisburg La which is now called Madisonville La down the street from Lake Ponchatrain which separates some and New Orleans (the Ponchatrain Causeway bridge is 26 miles across and if the longest over water bridge in the world). I found this 25 Cent steamboat token and did some research. I found out it was only with us from 1910-1915 until it sank. It would bring people from New Orleans and back across Lake Ponchatrain. I couldn’t find anything else about it except a guy from New Orleans collected info and pictures of all the New Orleans Steamboats until his death in 1958 and his family donated his collection to the New Orleans library which is where I found out it sank and unfortunately the F.M. Owens had no picture attached.
So a year ago I checked EBay just encase there was anything there,which there wasn’t, so I saved it and life went on. Well last week a notification popped up and someone had actual negatives for the F.M. Owens. The seller said he thinks it’s the only ones to exist. I got 3 negatives for $20 spent another $45 having them developed on a cd the into pictures and now I have them together. But I might be holding the only pictures and token known. How exciting!! View attachment 1725584 View attachment 1725585 View attachment 1725586 View attachment 1725587 View attachment 1725588 View attachment 1725589

I love this hobby. Thanks for reading
Negatives
Causeway Bridge View attachment 1725590

Very cool! :icon_thumleft:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pics, Mark & Don! I'll add a couple to the tokencatalog listing.
John in the Great 208

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth,
I'm too lazy to write it all down, but if you want the specifics of the cargo at the time of the accident, look at the right hand column on page 90 Vol. 54 of the Louisiana Planter and Sugar Manufacturer magazine found here:https://books.google.com/books?id=6...e&q=Little Godel Bayou on Grand River&f=false
Don.....

Omg I don’t blame you lol My Tnet friends are simply the best. I appreciate each and every one of you. May God bless all of you and family.
Y’all mean a lot to me [emoji1317]

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one cool story....and lots of help from the good folks here at Tnet.i love those old pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions