Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did some searching around on google and numista but couldn't find anything. Measurements?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Barack Obama but looks to be older.

g

Good answer, but I guess that's what you would expect from one who calls himself cracker.

This is an interesting token.
My thought on it, it may or may not be correct:
It has no writing, which makes me think it was circulated among a limited group of people that knew it's meaning.
It reminds me of a cartoon character from the 20's or 30's.

I have sent your pics to a museum that specializes in collecting racist stuff from the past.

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/location.htm

Maybe they can help.

Meanwhile, leave it as it is.
Do not attempt to clean.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not an attempt at humor but using the keywords 'Negro' 'man' and 'token' took me to articles about Kanye West.
Good luck on your research.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 20's & 30's, the term "Little Black Sambo" was popular among the racists. Your token may date to that period, but due to the dirt, I would think an aluminum token in the ground would be a whole lot more corroded.

Ferris State / Jim Crow museum (link above) may be able to help you if you contact them with a picture.

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug an Aluminum Token from 1934 yesterday with virtually no corrosion... so its possible.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not an attempt at humor but using the keywords 'Negro' 'man' and 'token' took me to articles about Kanye West.
Good luck on your research.

I got the same result when I searched.

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
The token measures approx 27mm in diameter. I appreciate everyone's help. My first guess was that it was racist in nature. Hopefully the museum will have more info. Thanks again

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No response from jim crow.
Sent another email.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange question, but if you spin it on a hard surface, does it look like they are kissing?
That or possibly a "cheater" coin flip. You know, both sides "heads"?
Great find, and in great shape for aluminum!
Carl

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange question, but if you spin it on a hard surface, does it look like they are kissing?
That or possibly a "cheater" coin flip. You know, both sides "heads"?
Great find, and in great shape for aluminum!
Carl

You may be on to something.

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
I am wanting some personal opinions on what to do with the Token. I acquired it with a group of other Trade tokens and coins that I collect, but I do not collect this type of material. I read several articles about collecting Black Americana, and specifically racist items. Many museums gather these items and use them as teaching materials. Most advised to not destroy these items, as they are needed as a reminder of the past. Would it be morally right to sell this on Ebay, with a strong disclaimer that I in no way promote racism? A museum or teacher or historian may want this. Just wondered what people think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread