Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need City & State.[/QUOTE]

Are you hoping to see if its still valid?:laughing7:

I cant help Im afraid, but it looks in fantastic condition for white metal! Not sure what era a cigar would cost 5C... but pre Cuba embargo?

chub

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itā€™s listed below but with a letter ā€˜Lā€™ in the centre and attributed to Logansport, Indiana via a 1912 advert in the Pharo-Tribune that says the Columbia 5c Cigar was ā€œMade in [the] cityā€. I think that should be ā€œPharos Tribuneā€ which was (still is) a daily newspaper based in Logansport, covering Cass County.

https://tinyurl.com/ryezfnc

Columbia 5c.jpg

That agrees with one of the eBay listings provided by @Mackaydon above which assigns it to Logansport, but with the letter ā€˜Rā€™. I have no idea what the letters mean or whether only the ā€˜Lā€™ version of the token is from Logansport but Iā€™ve now seen these tokens with B, F, G, J, L and R (and Iā€™m not 100% sure but I think also M).

Some sources suggest these tokens were included in payout from table-top trade-promoting slot machines, but not exclusively so. The same advertisement for the Columbia 5c Cigar also exists on jukebox tokens associated with Alpert/Smith but with the tokens being valid for one play on the juke.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread