High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this token recently. It is a tad larger than a quarter. Is it taboo to clean a token? Tried to look it up. Found a token forum. Read where it said "no one on this forum has one to sell". Wonder why they said that, I didn't ask. Can anyone ID this one? Thanks

Token 2.JPG Token.JPG

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful token. Looks to be in excellent condition. Maybe some tokens are valuable. Good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love tokes that could be a valuable one I hope so keep us posted if you find any more info on it.......Tommy

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cleaning can help both condition and value, but, cleaning can also reduce both. It's similar to dug coins. Your token doesn't look bad, so, I'd rinse off any dirt and call it good. I believe it to be a fairly modern gaming/arcade token and not particularly valuable, but, that's only my guess. Maybe someone will know how rare and or valuable it is. If it's virtually worthless, clean it all you want to please your eye.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately it’s not a rare token. If you look just above where it says ‘No Cash Value’, you will see the intitials ‘RWM’ which is a trademark of Kilmartin Industries, operating as the ‘Roger Williams Mint’ out of Attleboro, Massachusetts.

It’s an amusement or arcade token, produced in plated aluminium. The Roger Williams Mint grew to become the world’s largest privately owned mint, producing tokens of every kind for business and state use plus commemorative coins and medallions for foreign nations.

Their website has been taken down since they became part of the ‘TokensDirect’ company in 2006 but their original site used to say “established over 75 years ago”, so the token won’t be before about 1931 and more likely rather later.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don.

After a little more thought and some research, I wonder if the token relates to the Half Moon arcades at Weirs Beach, New Hampshire?

On the strength his teenage employment on the carnival fair circuit and his family owning an arcade at Old Orchard Beach in Maine, Sidney Ames went into business on his own in 1949 as the ‘Whiteway Amusement Company’. He had two successful seasons using a small rented space adjacent to the Half Moon Snack Bar at Weirs Beach and then purchased the Half Moon properties (a restaurant, snack bar, and bowling alley) in 1951 to expand his arcade business.

Here’s his 1950 lease agreement prior to purchasing the Half Moon Premises which details the types of amusement he was operating:

Lease.jpg

The arcades are still there today (some interesting history and vintage pictures on this website too):
Half Moon Amusement Arcades « WEIRS BEACH ? WHERE LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE BEGINS

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Except that the token is not plated aluminum, but clearly is made of brass.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except that the token is not plated aluminum, but clearly is made of brass.

The recorded examples I found were described as plated aluminium, but I fully expect that RWM made them in different metals at different times and/or for different purposes as specified by the customer. As is always the case with tokens like this, they exist in many variations and not all of them get catalogued.

Last edited:
OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Red-Coat for the terrific information on my token. It is defiantly brass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread