Palace Hotel Moise S.F. Key Fob - Question

PHSFCollector

Jun 10, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning,
I do not know if this is the correct place to post this or not, but I found some information under this thread that was relevant to what I was looking for and I hope someone may be able to help me.

I collect items from the Palace Hotel, San Francisco and have been trying to find out what years certain key fobs were used. The first one with the key attached was made by Moise S.F. - it is stamped small on the back bottom. I read in this forum that Moise was founded in 1893, purchased Klinker in 1897 to become Moise-Klinker in 1898. It was said that they produced under individual names until 1904, which one would assume this was the time frame for this. However, from what I have been researching, this fob was likely 1909 to 1920. I saw on eBay the same Moise stamp on tokens from 1910 and 1911. I do not know if this could be the key style used through the 1940s and 50s either - it is not known which style was used at this point.

I have keys and fobs that have manager names on them that date from 1921 to 1939 - so this time frame can be ruled out.

The second one without a key appears to be a Moise piece, and I am thinking it dates to the original hotel c1900. The Palace Hotel was destroyed (along with the Moise factory) during the earthquake and fire of 1906. The new Palace Hotel opened in 1909.

I have additional photos on my website - www.thepalacehotelsf.com. If there is anyone that may know of when these were made and/or used, that would be greatly appreciated information to add to the website. I saw the company still is in operation and I did reach out to Patrick & Co, but have not heard back yet. Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• PHKey1.jpeg
    PHKey1.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 74
  • PHSFKey2.jpeg
    PHSFKey2.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Fob.jpeg
    Fob.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 87

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I( am somewhat familiar with the engravers of Moise Klinkner. I own a Hotel Key fob with m Moise's engraved name on it and have researched the partnership between them. Klinkner first started his stamp, stencil, and metal engraving businee in the late 1880's. Later on Moise came over from another engraver and went to work for him eventually becoming his partner. By 1893 they had a successful enterprise. Unfortunately, he died in 1893. at that point Moise became sole owner of the said business and continued to carry on. During this time he some of his products carried his name only and other times just his own. Later on in life he carried on in the same business as the the Oakland rubber stamp etc. company. The one I found Has name only on it and, on a token of his manufacture, it carries both names, it being used only in 1899.

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moise-Klinkner became Moise only upon the death of Klinkner in 1893. His use of Klinkner on his products seems to have ended in the early 1900's. Eventually ,in the early 1920's, he had a name change for his business called The Oakland Stamp and Stationary Company, which he had for many years before his death. For reference, Moise worked initially for Klinkner From about 1886 until his death in 1893 before they became partners.
The hotel key fob I own and the metal business as well are from the 1894 time period to the 1899 time period. The 1894 is the star shaped hotel key fob and has on the reverse side his initials and last name on it L.F. Moise. The metal business token has both Moise and klinker on it being from 1899. From other Pieces I Klinkner-Moise I have owned
his use alternated between using both names for the time period after his death. The last thing I can add is his name address in Oakland can be found on the 1920 census. Good Luck in your quest.

Bond

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread