token id help

155gunner

Dec 8, 2007
This message was posted earlier under a different cat. but thought I might have better luck here.

???Anyone familiar with this token ? Any help would be appreciated. I know it is hard to make out in the phots but it looks like the front say NBM Co and near the rim at about the 2 o'clock position it looks like the word manufact?. The back looks like between the 10 o'clock and 2 0'clock position might be good for and it looks like trade at the bottom . In the recess in the upper middle it looks like 5 c. I found this today in a civil war camp, not that that makes it period. I hate to over clean it.

Thanks

Larry

Attachments

• token 3 001.jpg
    token 3 001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 255
  • token 3 002.jpg
    token 3 002.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 253
  • token 3 001.jpg
    token 3 001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 235
  • token 3 002.jpg
    token 3 002.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 246

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
This is going to be tough to attribute - it was a token made for the National Billiard Manufacturing Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio to be sold to the business on the other side for use. That is a bit confusing, but here's the story. When a person wanted to open a billiard hall and/or saloon, the capital investment was pretty high, especially if he wanted to put in new billiard tables, a new bar, etc. So many of the major manufacturing companies loaned startup money - similar to buying a new car today with dealer financing. The NBM Company (that is their logo on the first pic - the name around and a crossed set of billiard cues separating the N/B/M/Co. in the center) was one of these major manufacturers. The Brunwick-Balke-Collender Co. was another of the big ones.

Anyway, they would enter into a contract and the company would supply the fixtures to the businessman and would expect repayment over time. Along with tables, bars, glassware, spittoons, etc., the company would offer to supply tokens for use in the billiard hall. Few of the big companies actually made the tokens themselves, since they were really in the woodworking business - they contracted out to have the tokens made at a stamp works. They offered the business a pretty good price since one side of the token was devoted to advertising their product (billiard tables). The other side of the token (your second pic) was for the use of the business. To be able to supply these tokens as economically as possible, special dies were used that minimized the amount of work involved when cutting the dies. This involves standard wording and inserts for the denomination (5¢ in the case of yours) and for the name of the proprietor of the business (I can't read the name on yours, but it is on the oval section just below the 5¢). That way, only the "slug" or insert had to be made especially for this order. Since there was not much room on this insert, this type of token is almost always a maverick (i.e. does not have the town and state), and often just has the initials of the proprietor.

This type of token was popular in the 1880-1910 timeframe. If you can decipher a name in the oval area, that is a start on figuring out where the token was actually used. The Cincinnati location of the NBM Co. is not much of a clue, but since they usually marketed in the region, rather than nationally. Chances are that the token is from no farther than two states away.

John in ID

OP
OP

155gunner

Dec 8, 2007
Hello John

Thanks so much for all the info on my token. You really know your tokens. Has this thing got any value or is it too rough? Farm chemicals really do a number on brass and copper.

Regards

Larry

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Larry--

It is probably close to worthless as is, BUT, if you can make out the name and it can lead to an attribution, then it may well be worth something. Put a magnifying glass to the piece and adjust a flashlight or other light source from the side - see if you can make out the name. What I see looks like a 8-letter name starting with G or C, then maybe & or AND, then another name that is shorter than the first one. I can see several letters along the way, but you will have a better view from there!
John in ID

OP
OP

155gunner

Dec 8, 2007
John

I will try and see if I can come up with something with the techniques you described. If so I will post the results.

I have another token I found near the same spot that I am also having trouble id'ing. If you and the others don't mind , take a look at it and tell me what you think. BYW the back is plain. The lettering at the bottom is in a recessed federal shield. Again , I know it's in rough shape but I would like to know what it is if possible.

Regards

Larry

Attachments

• token4.jpg
    token4.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 242
OP
OP

155gunner

Dec 8, 2007
Hi Don

I am in kentucky. Both of these were found a little south of Louisville.

Thanks for looking.

regards

Larry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions