• purdytoken.jpg
    purdytoken.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 227

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Kentucky Liquor Store one is listed as #27 at $5. I don't see the other two listed - I will do a little checking in my maverick lists to see what I can find on them. That last one is neat! Purdyville Cantina - was there a location named Purdyville in that area?
John in ID

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I just answered my own question. The Purdyville Cantina is listed under Purdyville as #1 at $20. There is a second token from the place - the Purdyville Saloon.
John in ID

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John thanks again,I will get pics of those others soon and get them up if you dont mind.Actually I am glad you asked about Purdeyville,that is my favorite token!Purdeyville was once a community of miners boarding houses for miners especially.Many of the old homes still exist but unfortuanatly it is pretty much all neiborhood now.It is now meshed in with Angels Camp and most people now never knew it existed.Are those prices current or does one need to do the multiply 3x or 2x???

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
No, those are 1976 prices. And, in my opinion, since the trade token market is relatively new and unestablished, pricing guides for them aren't worth the paper they are printed on. At best they are guesses, since the person putting the price guide together probably has never seen more than a couple of the rarer tokens change hands. Plus nobody knows how many of each token were made or how many have survived. And, because of the laws of supply and demand, the number of collectors for a certain token and the competition among those collectors drives prices. Most trade token collectors collect from a specific area, be it a state or a region. For example a California token collector may also collect Nevada ones. Then, within that area, they may collect all denominations, merchants, and varieties, or simply collect one of a town. In a large state like CA, few collectors go for all tokens, and if they are a one per town collector, Angels or Angels Camp (I suppose some might consider them two separate towns) would be relatively easy to get because there are over 60 varieties listed. Purdyville, however, only has the two types shown in the book and both of them were scarce enough at the time to be shown as $20. Long story, but to make it shorter, I'd say if you put that token on your state's well-known auction site, an x factor of 10 would be conservative.
John in ID

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much!!!60 different varieties!!!!!Angels and Angels Camp are the same and this town was not and is not very big!!!It did supposedly boast 40 saloons at one time!!(only one now)I am not going to sell them I was just curious.I have several freinds that used to find handfuls of them and sell them to tourists for five dollars apeice and really thought they were getting over on them!!I am sure alot of guys find them frequently,I however dont partly because I predominatly hunt a different time frame(1849-1860)I will get some of the others up soon.Thanks so much again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread