saratoga billards parlors

raidersfans4

Apr 18, 2005
iowa
have been hunting a coal mining town in iowa for a year. the town dates from 1897 to 1927 when the coal ran out.was a town of 6000 to 9000 people.have found 37 Indian head cents, five barber dimes, many relics and six tokens. on the last hunt of the year(07) i found a token the size of a quarter.soaked it all winter,finally got it clean enough to read. one side says saratoga billiard parlors,the other side says ,good for one 5cent cigar. googled it,found saratoga billiards in st.louis mo. called the phone number,talked to the janitor,said he would talk to the manager when he came in.got home from work today, had a message on the machine.they left a number to call. called and talked to the owner ,he was thrilled,wanted to know all the details.asked me what i wanted for it.he said the oldtimers would get a kick out of it.told him i didn't want anything for it,just thought they might enjoy it.he said he would make a plack, telling all about how i found it and put it in there thorphy case. hope i make someones day with it. he said if i'm ever in st.louis they would take care of me. raider

Dec 19, 2006
Raider

This token is from Davenport or Cedar Rapids, IA. It is listed in the Iowa Token Book as Brass Round 21MM
as an R-3.
SB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread