r.r.token-2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 327

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Cool token,,, I found 3 in the same hole similar to it from the Indianpolis R.R.
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nedigger said:
I'm just guessing but perhaps Niagara Falls. Here is a website that gives a little info. http://hometown.aol.com/chirailfan/ztransnz.html
HH.
Thanks-it's possible,I know it's from Canada and the N.E. part of the U.S.,i've found one that says good for 7 1/2 cent fare by googling it.
Leon said:
Cool token,,, I found 3 in the same hole similar to it from the Indianpolis R.R.
Good luck & Happy hunting~
Thats cool,i've never dug one but I do have a couple dozen different ones,including Indianapolis.I'll post them in "my collections" sometime later today. Thanks for the replies-H.H.-diggummup

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Atwood's Catalog of United States and Canadian Transportation Token lists this one as Niagara Falls, NY #640B (Brass) and #640D (Bronze) - how those two metals can be distinguished is beyond me. The 7?? fare ones are ca. 1931-48 and are #640A (Brass) and #640B (Steel). The catalog goes on to say "International Railway abandoned streetcars August 22, 1937, and was taken over by Niagara Frontier Transit on May 31, 1950. In answer to your question, I am relatively certain the "N. F." stands for Niagara Falls. John in ID

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
Atwood's Catalog of United States and Canadian Transportation Token lists this one as Niagara Falls, NY #640B (Brass) and #640D (Bronze) - how those two metals can be distinguished is beyond me.? The 7?? fare ones are ca. 1931-48 and are #640A (Brass) and #640B (Steel).? The catalog goes on to say "International Railway abandoned streetcars August 22, 1937, and was taken over by Niagara Frontier Transit on May 31, 1950.? In answer to your question, I am relatively certain the "N. F." stands for Niagara Falls.? John in ID
Thanks John. :) I gotta get one of those catalog's.Do they have one for merchant tokens too?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Merchant tokens ("trade or good-for tokens") are usually cataloged by state. About 35 of the 50 states have catalogs available and I have most of them. The quality of these catalogs varies from simple listings to include photographs and histories. Most of these state catalogs were privately printed in small quantity and are seldom are available in bookstores. Rarity and value are not always given or accurate since the hobby is not as well developed as it is for US coins, for instance.

Older US tokens like the Hard Times series of the 1830s, the Civil War patriotic and storecard series, and some of the 1890s are cataloged nationally. Russell Rulau's United States Tokens 1700-1900 is the most often-used reference for them. His book does not cover everything, however, and a lot of people get unnecessarily excited when they find a token "unlisted in Rulau".

I'd be happy to check my references if you want a lookup on a "good-for" token. I am also "Maverick Editor" for the Token and Medal Society, so can look in the database of trade tokens that don't give a town and state. We have been able to attribute quite a few over the years.

Queries probably should be posted in a new topic here.

Best,
John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread