Earbuds interchangeable with Headsets

Reefdrifter

Jan 4, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Hello All,
I have a Tesoro Sandshark MD with a hardwired headset for underwater detecting. Since I live and detect in sunny Florida, it is usually very warm (hot) even when detecting on the beach. I don't really see the need for the heavy and uncomfortable headset in any application since all you have to hear is a "tone" and not quality music. My idea was to be able to disconnect the headset when MDing on shore and connect a lightweight set of "earbuds". The earbuds probably would not be good to use when diving due to the pressures on the ears during decent so I would then remove the earbuds and plug in the headset. I wrote to the Tesoro company and they pretty much blew me off and said the "Factory" had no provision for this and that was that. I think most everyone that uses a metal detector would rather use smaller light weight and cooler earbuds than the headset. (Unless you are detecting in a cold environment and have to keep your ears warm) Anyway.......To accomplish this idea I need a waterproof plug system to install in the wire between the control unit and the headset so as not to break the "factory" waterproof seal of the wire to control box that would also compromise the warranty. (I suppose if you were to cut the headset wire they would void the warranty anyway.) I think there must be some waterproof plugs in the world that would accept a standard 3mm earphone jack and not mess up the system. If anyone out there is savvy in electronics and could recommend a plug or has ideas please let me know. Thanks for your interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread