RatPhones MSA? Anyone have them yet?

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Has anyone tried them out yet? They are a pretty new design and I have read a lot of good things about the old model but not these. From what I've read on the website - Detectusa.com - under Technical, it "sounds" (pun intended) like there was some serious thought put into the design. The only thing I don't like is the color. Should be black IMO. So... Anyone? ;D

Among others, I currently use a pair of GreyGhost Ultimates and just tried a pair of SunRay Pro Golds. The GreyGhosts are ok but a bit heavy, and the volume doesn't seem to adjust well, at least to my liking anyway! The SunRays are lighter (a little bulkier IMO) and the volume adjusts better but the sound seems a bit ... strange ... I can't really describe it but just not for me either. Anyway, if you have them.... tell us about them please, and maybe what else you've used. :icon_sunny:

Thanks

Kemosabe

Apr 29, 2009
Crystal Coast of North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
I'd be curious also. If you go to Detectusa.com and check out their dealers, their dealers either don't advertise them, have broken links, or advertise them but yet do not provide any 'clickable' link to order them. Really frustrating.

No wonder the economy is so bad......... :happy3::

Kemosabe

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Okay, an update on the MSAs.

I just heard from Rick Viola of Detect USA. He surmises that the dealers are probably running low and that the next production delivery won't be for another two weeks.

Unfortunately I didn't ask him about the color. :dontknow:

Somebody must be buying them.........

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought my RATPhones over a year ago. They're the best you can buy. The reason they're hard to get is because the guy is a small operation and builds each set himself. He uses the top grade, mil spec parts and builds each set to match specific manufacturers' detectors. The earcups are the only headsets I've ever found that seal completely around the ear and are very comfortable. All others that I've used and tried do not seal completely around the ear.
As far as color is concerned; why is that important? The OD color does well to not attract undue attention while you're using them, but if you're in dire need of a different color, get a can of spray paint and change it.

Kemosabe

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
As far as color is concerned; why is that important? The OD color does well to not attract undue attention while you're using them, but if you're in dire need of a different color, get a can of spray paint and change it.

I've received mine a couple of weeks ago, and have no complaints. They shut out outside noise and are very comfortable. They came in 'white' which I don't mind, and shouldn't absorb the sun's rays as much.

Btw, Rick Viola of Detect USA is kicking around pursuing an additional color. How about 'Carolina Blue'? (well almost) :thumbsup:

Bluecopy.gif

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kemosabe said:

I've received mine a couple of weeks ago, and have no complaints. They shut out outside noise and are very comfortable. They came in 'white' which I don't mind, and shouldn't absorb the sun's rays as much.

Btw, Rick Viola of Detect USA is kicking around pursuing an additional color. How about 'Carolina Blue'? (well almost) :thumbsup:

Bluecopy.gif

Hey, that's OK. The ladies might like a hot pink or cool lavender. ;D

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I find that the color of your headphones does make a difference in what kind of insects you attract. It is a known fact that 'skeeters love blue, yellow, and blood. I used to have red phones that were "Fisher Phones" They kept attracting yellow jacket wasps to me ( I am badly allergic to their stings) so I painted them a tan color, which was proven to deter these critters. Also, when out hunting, wear Khaki pants and shirts, they are less attractible to insects. One time while out hunting with a friend, I was digging a target and heard a loud buzzing very near my ear cups, my friend was llaughing his head off, I said what's so funny? He said it was a hummingbird trying to poke its beak into where the cord came out, I thiught it was one of those pesky wasps.......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread