Whats the best Angle Grinder to get...?

digging wv

Sep 16, 2007
Cabin Creek
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's the best Angle Grinder to get...?

I use a DeWalt at work. Has taken a lot of abuse and still runs like a scaulded dog!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good question. It all depends on how much you will use it and how much ya want to spend. I Keep 4 angle grinders ready to go at all times. Each one has a different blade on it. I buy 2 H/f about every year @ $15. and replace them about every year. I have a Dewalt about 5 years now with never a problem. I also have A Makita for around 15 or 17 years now, with no problems . The Makita is the one I like the best and and is the quietest of them all .

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

Well it wouldn't be used everyday, I was thinking something in the middle (price-wise)....after checking 'em out, I think a variable speed option would be a good thing...looks like not all of 'em come fitted with that option....some of yoose pro's correct me, seems like there's a lot you could do with a grinder....sand, cut....etc with the right disk, could you cut up a car body?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Ju8vP3t said:
with the right disk, could you cut up a car body?

Yes, but it might cost more than the scrap steel is worth. The thin cutting disks burn up mighty fast.

Diggem'

michiganbutcher

Apr 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Tools are something I feel you get what you pay for ! I have a Makita and a Dewalt.....Ive had for over 5 years. both are great grinders. Both are just for general garage use.. I just started to make a digger for myself and already went through 2 cutting discs.....but it sure makes quick work of it.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

I have a $10 dollar one from a traveling tool tent. 10 grinding wheels for a dollar too.
Newt

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Every shop/garage needs a grinder.
Think of all the movies - when folks get serious they show sparks flying and blue arcs.
Even when they are making wooden parade floats! LOL

Really depends on how much you would use it.
Someone using it a couple times a year could get a cheap HF unit with discs for $20.
Sharpen an axe, shovel, etc.

I have a Makita for 20 yrs and no problem but it cost a bunch.

Even got a nifty chain saw adapter and carved a full sized bear head out of wood.
Another handy item is a saw blade that can kill you in 1 second but spinning at 17,000 rpm cuts small branches in seconds too.
Like a light saber.

I have cut up cars but an oxy/acetylene torch is the way to go with that.
Careful with oil, gas, and hydraulic fluids.

Full face mask and leather gloves. (Cotton ones catch on fire).

One of the most dangerous tools there is, but can be handy.

Grey

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Ju8vP3t said:
Well it wouldn't be used everyday, I was thinking something in the middle (price-wise)....after checking 'em out, I think a variable speed option would be a good thing...looks like not all of 'em come fitted with that option....some of yoose pro's correct me, seems like there's a lot you could do with a grinder....sand, cut....etc with the right disk, could you cut up a car body?

I haven't used the 4 1/2" DeWalt, but that is kind of on the high end, price wise. But then, I'm Mr.Thrifty.
I have 2 Mikita Mini Grinders, but I don't use them for cutting. I do strongly advise staying away from the cheap brands as some of them use bushings instead of bearings.

For my cutting jobs, I have a 14" no name chop saw and when the blades get worn down enough, I use them on a B&D circular saw. And for the really fancy stuff, (like thin material found in autobody), I use a high speed air cutter. I think the blades for that are only 3 1/2" diameter, but it cuts fast and straight. I used to use a 14" Pioneer Partner, (bought out by Husqvarna), gas powered cutoff saw, that could cut through a car body and frame. Great toy, but I'm not in that business any more. If you have a chainsaw, some spare parts, some tools, a welder and a little know how, its possible to build one.

F.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeWalt ***** Dropped out of a second story window. scuffed the plastic, still running like new!
Harbor Freight ****

Harbor Freight has disks in ten packs works out to about 79 cents a disk for the thin cut off ones.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Go to the Sears refurbished center. half to 3/4 price with new warrenty. Just bought a 2hp plunge router, soft start with two collets,edge guide and soft tool bag for $75.00

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like Michiganbutcher, I have a Makita and a DeWalt - also a Makita portable. (that is hardly used).

Sad to say, the other two have been used and abused - but, happy to say - they still run like a bear! I keep a diamond on the Dewalt, and regular discs on the Makita. (the portable is mostly used for finish stuff).

Considering what they have been through, and the number of years I've had them, and all the different uses of them - both are worth the price, imo.

B

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot depends on how often you'll be using it. For occasional use, a Harbor Freight unit or a Black & Decker from a Wal-Mart. The one I have is a Black & Decker that is great. If you're going to use it everyday or almost as often, then invest the extra money and get a DeWalt or Makita.

Whichever one you get, make sure you can replace the brushes yourself.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Speaking of brushes - don't get one of the new "brushless" ones. It cuts down the number of years you will be able to use it.

B

New Direction

Apr 10, 2012
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a black and decker from wal-mart at home purely because of wal-marts return policy. Buy one of these and you will have a grinder for life. Heck you could just swap it out when the brushes go but I think thats leaching a little too much. Also no need to ship it just drive down to the local wal-mart.

At work I use Metabo's. Not sure how much my boss paid but I would recommend going with Dewalt, Milwaukee, or Makita instead. The Metabo's serve us well but they tend to heat up and smoke a little easier tehn other brands I have used.

robertsmither

Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends upon what you want to use

Depends upon what you want to use the angle grinder for. I own the same model. I think when it fails sometime this century, I'll replace it with a large angle grinder because I need to cut some thicker material. I've scored the rock and broke it with a chisel, but it's not as smooth as I'd like. There are many to choose from online which will serve your purpose.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get a good pair of saftey glasses z87 first and some good gloves as they will cut you fast.i would even wear a face shield over my glasses as the metal will get behind them and wheels will fly apart.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Dewalt. I have had a 4 1/2" for a little over a year and I use it for everything. I have cut metal rebar and performed a lot of concrete and brick work with mine. If I wanted to pay more, I would get the larger Dewalt. I think the larger one runs around $80.

If I wasn't using Dewalt tools, I would lean toward Milwaukee or Bosch.

Also, if you are going to cut concrete or brick opt for the diamond blades. They will pay for themselves verses going through dozens of the silicone carbide masonry blades. I also buy the cheapest diamond blades rather than the ones that costs $20 or more. You can buy more and in the long run they will outlast the expensive ones.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread