Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Jun 2008
    Sausalito Blvd Sausalito CA 94965

What's the best Angle Grinder to get...?

I'm looking to get an Angle Grinder, been looking at a 4 1/2" DeWalt, anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

us
    Apr 2006
    northeast Wisconsin
    Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
    7 times

Re: What's the best Angle Grinder to get...?

Milwaukee. Worth every dime.

Diggem'
    Yup. The end of a way of life. Too bad. It's a good way. Wagons forward! Yo!

us
    Sep 2007
    Cabin Creek
    Prizm V
    59 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I use a DeWalt at work. Has taken a lot of abuse and still runs like a scaulded dog!

us
    Sep 2007
    Sal Sagev Adaven
    E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,, GB PRO.
    24 times
    Metal Detecting

Good question. It all depends on how much you will use it and how much ya want to spend. I Keep 4 angle grinders ready to go at all times. Each one has a different blade on it. I buy 2 H/f about every year @ $15. and replace them about every year. I have a Dewalt about 5 years now with never a problem. I also have A Makita for around 15 or 17 years now, with no problems . The Makita is the one I like the best and and is the quietest of them all .
    I'll just follow you with My E-trac, Sov GT,or GoldBug Pro.

us
    Jun 2008
    Sausalito Blvd Sausalito CA 94965

Well it wouldn't be used everyday, I was thinking something in the middle (price-wise)....after checking 'em out, I think a variable speed option would be a good thing...looks like not all of 'em come fitted with that option....some of yoose pro's correct me, seems like there's a lot you could do with a grinder....sand, cut....etc with the right disk, could you cut up a car body?

us
    Apr 2006
    northeast Wisconsin
    Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ju8vP3t
    with the right disk, could you cut up a car body?
    Yes, but it might cost more than the scrap steel is worth. The thin cutting disks burn up mighty fast.

Diggem'
    Yup. The end of a way of life. Too bad. It's a good way. Wagons forward! Yo!

us
    Apr 2009
    Garrett Ace 250

Tools are something I feel you get what you pay for ! I have a Makita and a Dewalt.....Ive had for over 5 years. both are great grinders. Both are just for general garage use.. I just started to make a digger for myself and already went through 2 cutting discs.....but it sure makes quick work of it.

us
    Dec 2007
    Georgia
    1265X and Tejon
    4 times
    Banner Finds (2)

I have a $10 dollar one from a traveling tool tent. 10 grinding wheels for a dollar too.
    Newt

us
    Endeaver to perservere

Mar 2008
    Aloha, Orygun
    wishing stick
    22 times
    Searching

Every shop/garage needs a grinder.
    Think of all the movies - when folks get serious they show sparks flying and blue arcs.
    Even when they are making wooden parade floats! LOL

Really depends on how much you would use it.
    Someone using it a couple times a year could get a cheap HF unit with discs for $20.
    Sharpen an axe, shovel, etc.

I have a Makita for 20 yrs and no problem but it cost a bunch.

Even got a nifty chain saw adapter and carved a full sized bear head out of wood.
    Another handy item is a saw blade that can kill you in 1 second but spinning at 17,000 rpm cuts small branches in seconds too.
    Like a light saber.

I have cut up cars but an oxy/acetylene torch is the way to go with that.
    Careful with oil, gas, and hydraulic fluids.

Full face mask and leather gloves. (Cotton ones catch on fire).

One of the most dangerous tools there is, but can be handy.

Grey

Nothing stated may be true as far as we know
    Seek professional advice. Some items are limited
    Not available in all states. Illigitimi non carborundum. Carpe oro.

ca
    Feb 2007
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
    A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ju8vP3t
    Well it wouldn't be used everyday, I was thinking something in the middle (price-wise)....after checking 'em out, I think a variable speed option would be a good thing...looks like not all of 'em come fitted with that option....some of yoose pro's correct me, seems like there's a lot you could do with a grinder....sand, cut....etc with the right disk, could you cut up a car body?
    I haven't used the 4 1/2" DeWalt, but that is kind of on the high end, price wise. But then, I'm Mr.Thrifty.
    I have 2 Mikita Mini Grinders, but I don't use them for cutting. I do strongly advise staying away from the cheap brands as some of them use bushings instead of bearings.

For my cutting jobs, I have a 14" no name chop saw and when the blades get worn down enough, I use them on a B&D circular saw. And for the really fancy stuff, (like thin material found in autobody), I use a high speed air cutter. I think the blades for that are only 3 1/2" diameter, but it cuts fast and straight. I used to use a 14" Pioneer Partner, (bought out by Husqvarna), gas powered cutoff saw, that could cut through a car body and frame. Great toy, but I'm not in that business any more. If you have a chainsaw, some spare parts, some tools, a welder and a little know how, its possible to build one.

F.
    Quote of Sir Joshua Reynolds': "There is no expedient, to which a man will not resort; to avoid the real labor, of thinking."

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    59 times

DeWalt ***** Dropped out of a second story window. scuffed the plastic, still running like new!
    Harbor Freight ****

Harbor Freight has disks in ten packs works out to about 79 cents a disk for the thin cut off ones.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us
    Nov 2008
    Seminole County, Ok.
    GTI 2500
    3 times
    Metal Detecting

Go to the Sears refurbished center. half to 3/4 price with new warrenty. Just bought a 2hp plunge router, soft start with two collets,edge guide and soft tool bag for $75.00

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    78 times

Like Michiganbutcher, I have a Makita and a DeWalt - also a Makita portable. (that is hardly used).

Sad to say, the other two have been used and abused - but, happy to say - they still run like a bear! I keep a diamond on the Dewalt, and regular discs on the Makita. (the portable is mostly used for finish stuff).

Considering what they have been through, and the number of years I've had them, and all the different uses of them - both are worth the price, imo.

B
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    248 times

A lot depends on how often you'll be using it. For occasional use, a Harbor Freight unit or a Black & Decker from a Wal-Mart. The one I have is a Black & Decker that is great. If you're going to use it everyday or almost as often, then invest the extra money and get a DeWalt or Makita.

Whichever one you get, make sure you can replace the brushes yourself.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    78 times

Speaking of brushes - don't get one of the new "brushless" ones. It cuts down the number of years you will be able to use it.

B
    "Irony is the rule"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors