OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Number9 said:
You know what the main problem is with making custom tools?

Unless a person knows metal working and the amount of time and material to finish a tool...
all they have to compare the "custom tool" to, is a tool that is offered for sale on the open market.
This comparison is like comparing apples to oranges, but this is the only comparison a person can make when looking at "custom made"!
They "think" they want a custom tool until you tell them the price! Then they compare your custom to the standard on the market and think one of two things... "I can't justify the cost over standard for my use"... or... "This guy is trying to rook-me, trying to take me to the cleaners, who does he think he's fooling charging such a high price!?"

I've made many custom tools in the last 40 years and sold none. why? Because most people don't understand what it takes to make one, and friends just want a "gift". And when you tell them the price you always get that "look"! Ha! If you buy a quality made custom tool the price can be as much as 10-times the standard tool that's on the shelf! So, why do it at all? I do it for two basic reasons... the tool becomes part of me and gives me an inter pride knowing that I have the skills needed to make a "one-of-a-kind". The other reasons is to have a tool for my needs that's unmatched for the job I need it for. The tool must say "Lets go!", when I ask... "Are you ready!?".

Dennis, can you relate to any of this!? :laughing7:

Best at ya!
-Wayne

Yes Wayne! I can relate to what your saying 110%! But in addition to what you wrote, I also do it because it gives me pride knowing that my handiwork is appreciated and being used by other people with like interests.
You and I Wayne have the same views on this "why we do it " topic. But you my friend are a master at putting those thoughts into words! Again... :notworthy:

Best wishes to you in this new year

Dennis

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Ray S ECenFL said:
I purchased one of the Diggers. It arrived yesterday. Looks just like the pictures. Has a nice feel to it.

Could I have purchased a store bought digger cheaper? Yes, I could have but I wanted one that was custom made and by a T Net member. Just a personal preference.

Dennis did a very nice job. I am satisfied with my purchase.

Ray S ECenFL

Thank you very much Ray. It was a pleasure doing business with you. I don't remember if I talked to you about this or not, but a few of my customers have asked about some sort of handle padding, grip tape, shrink wrap etc.. If you think you would like a little more comfort on the grip, I would suggest maybe getting some tool grip dip. There is a company called Plasti Grip.. I think its called. Anyway you dip the handle in this stuff and it forms a rubberized grip. I'm thinking of trying this out on mine. Anyway, just a thought if you want to do a little further customizing.
Hope you have a happy and prosperous new year.

Dennis

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
dazoff said:
Sent you a pm Dennis totally agree with you and Wayne. Custom hand built made to do the job. :thumbsup:

Now if I could get Wayne to make me a hand pick :wink:

Yep it's the only way to go... I sent you a pm, Thanks
That pick IS Awsome aint it!

Dennis

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey dazoff... please shut the door up there!! You're letting to much cold air move into Tennessee!!

I made the handle for the pick using a 220 ton CNC press brake where I worked, which was about 10 years ago.
Not having a large press would be real fun trying to bend the Grade 5, 3/16" titanium plate!

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Number9 said:
Hey dazoff... please shut the door up there!! You're letting to much cold air move into Tennessee!!

I made the handle for the pick using a 220 ton CNC press brake where I worked, which was about 10 years ago.
Not having a large press would be real fun trying to bend the Grade 5, 3/16" titanium plate!

:laughing11: I was water hunting Monday night 44 degrees here on the coast low tide. Dan

Nefarious

Greenie
Feb 24, 2010
Titanium is light, strong and it doesn't rust. "Expensive aluminum".

But a good steel is ultimately stronger and heavier and IMO for something like a mini pick you need that extra weight. And my little pick cost me ~$15 with a fiberglass handle.

Don't get me wrong, your tools are really gorgeous but I'll be sticking with my steel tools which it wouldn't break my heart or my bank to lose and they get the job done.

BTW, my favorite digger is a Hori-Hori knife made in Japan (stainless steel).

Bob

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
LOL!!
"Expensive aluminum"?
Yeah, I like that! But, grade 5, 6-4 titanium is only 6% aluminum! :laughing7:
"But a good steel is ultimately stronger..."
It depends... what's a "good steel"?
I've used many $15 picks, I can tell you first hand... they don't have "good steel"!

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I too am a fabricator/welder & I LOVE what you are doing here, looks like a very strong, high quality digger! Ive never worked with titanium before. I can really appreciate the time, effort & expertise that goes into making one of these. I just wish you could lock me in your shop for a week or two, very nice set up & very nice equipment! Just slide a PB&J samich under the door once a day & I'll be fine! lol

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Nefarious said:
Titanium is light, strong and it doesn't rust. "Expensive aluminum".

But a good steel is ultimately stronger and heavier and IMO for something like a mini pick you need that extra weight. And my little pick cost me ~$15 with a fiberglass handle.

Don't get me wrong, your tools are really gorgeous but I'll be sticking with my steel tools which it wouldn't break my heart or my bank to lose and they get the job done.

BTW, my favorite digger is a Hori-Hori knife made in Japan (stainless steel).

Bob

"Expensive Aluminum" . I respectfully dissagree!! The strength to weight ratio simply cannot be beat. I can't say anything about Number9's pick except to say that it is awsom looking and I would love to have one simply because it is made of titanium! And looks to be of top drawer quality.
As far as diggers go, I've been using mine for years now and can say that titanium will stand up to all the abuse I can give it! And the comfort and ease of carry make it the ultimate tool material in my book!
Now, about sand scoops, All I can say is, It's the BEST. BAR NONE! Take a look at Number9's long handle scoops. They don't get better than that!!! My hand scoops are great as well simply because they are made with the lightest and strongest material you can get! Unless you can get your hands on some of the stuff the alein spaceship in area 59 is made of, you CANNOT find a better material than Titanium to build a scoop! :thumbsup:

Dennis

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Mighty AP said:
I too am a fabricator/welder & I LOVE what you are doing here, looks like a very strong, high quality digger! Ive never worked with titanium before. I can really appreciate the time, effort & expertise that goes into making one of these. I just wish you could lock me in your shop for a week or two, very nice set up & very nice equipment! Just slide a PB&J samich under the door once a day & I'll be fine! lol

Thanks AP. But, my wife locks me up in here all the time. It aint all it's cracked up to be! :laughing7: :laughing7:

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
LOL!!! Well I hope she slides a samich under the door for ya! But seriously, you have some nice equipment & you do top-notch work! I realy hope that you can make a lil' business outa this! Best of luck to you & keep it up! :icon_thumleft:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I built the pick, shovel/walking stick, and a few other tools from titanium because I use them to rock hunt in the mountains of North Carolina and in Georgia. Sometimes I'll do a lot of walking and the lighter weight of titanium over steel makes a difference after a few hours! Yes a pick can be made from a "good steel", 4130 chromoly would be a good choice. After all... top-fuel dragster frames use this type. It takes about 300 feet of tubing and finished it will weigh approximately 600 pounds... and holds an engine that puts out over 5,000 horsepower! The ultimate tensile strength of 4130(Normalized) is 97,200psi.
304 stainless is 73,200psi. 6061-T6 aluminum is 45,000psi.
I made my pick from Grade 5 titanium... the ultimate tensile strength is 138,000psi.
The tensile strength of Grade 5 titanium is more than 304 stainless and 6061-T6 aluminum... COMBINED!

I guess it's an ""Expensive aluminum" for a reason! :laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is what started my interest in Titanium as a possible material to be used in Long Handle Beach Scoops

Titanium Diablo......... .071/.050 First production ti scoop coming summer 2012
Picture two titanium skins, middle 304 SS, also testing 2025 Aluminum/not pictured
After a year of design work and testing of Diablo. And now testing and input from four hunters in the field,
several times a week around the country the final design is near.

Attachments

• DSC_7881.jpg
    DSC_7881.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 613

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please add me to your mailing list. I may be interested in current prices. Being an old thread. Just out of curiosity, how does the material cost compare to say aluminum or steel? Are you making them in other mat'ls? Cost please if so!

M

mikusek

You guys are Artists! Where'd ya say that plane crashed....... ;D

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a digging tool (4x6 spade about 3ft handle) a friend gave me said it was made outta titanium, Indestructable so far. I've had it for about 10 or 11 years. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread