Titanium, The ultimate tool material

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Just wanted to share with you some tools I fabricated using Titanium. I've been using the diggers and scoop for a few years now and they are the lightest and strongest tools I have ever used. Virtually indestructable! If I can figure out how to produce these a little faster, I may offer some for sale in the future.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• metal detecting tools 9-10-09 025.jpg
    metal detecting tools 9-10-09 025.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,344
  • metal detecting tools 9-10-09 024.jpg
    metal detecting tools 9-10-09 024.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 3,653
  • metal detecting tools 9-10-09 023.jpg
    metal detecting tools 9-10-09 023.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,174

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtg those are beautiful , I really like your diggers , to me I think this is one of the greatest asspects of this hobby is that folks build stuff , or take an idea an run with it to make it bigger better stronger .

great builds :icon_thumleft:

HH Tank :icon_pirat:

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please add me to your mailing list. I might be one of the first in line to buy some. Just out of curiosity, how does the material cost compare to say aluminum or steel?

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looken tools!!! How did you get the holes in the scoop?

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the Titanium hand scoop would hold up better than the one I bought offline (wont mention the brand) I bent mine up the very first time out an have to straighten everything out every other trip , definitely not worth the money I paid for it .

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Great looking tools! I would guess that you or a friend work in aircraft fabrication and making these from scrap materials?

My only two concerns would be if the handle or where it attaches may bend when digging in my native Georgia clay and their expense?

Jeff

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Titanium is very expensive and not likely to bend much. Tends to crack or break before it bends, mostly. But it takes a heckuva lot to crack, break or bend the stuff.

Its a bit out of the ordinary to work with and special processes must be employed when machining, welding or forming.

It's the ultimate when it comes to strength and durability for its very light weight.

Mass produced items like these would be too expensive to try and market in my opinion. WAY too expensive for your average MDer to buy off the shelf.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
You might want to google it because It's been a long time since I read the article,...

But, there was a rather long story about some guy that went searching for the remains of an aircraft that crashed that was made solely of titanium (out of arizona area 51). Lost story short, he found the parts of the ejection seat as well as the parts of his uniform. he actually found the 'explosion' site and found a lot of shrapnel (titanium).

Very good story... google it... i'm sorry I don't have the address.

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Thanks to all for the kind compliments. To answer a few of your questions, Yes Titanium is VERY strong. A sand scoop or digger made from this stuff will last several lifetimes. The downside, and it is a big downside, is cost. The sandscoop alone has about 150.00 in material (if I had to purchase it). I have an idea to put a long handle on it, of a removable design. But a five foot tube cost about 160.00 for the size I need. So I may have to go with aluminum for that. The other factor is fabrication. Jeffro, you are right. Titanium is hard to fab. You need a mill to machine the stuff and you need to go SLOOO. It can be welded fairly easy using TIG with shielding gas behind the weld to prevent oxidation. I use slivers of Titanium for filler rod.
Hope this helps some of you fabber's out there.

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Thanks guys. I will definatly let you all know if I start producing these. I do have some scrap left to fab a few diggers and scoops. The thing is, they have to be individually hand made and take a long time to make. If I do I will probably make a limited amount for Tnet "family".

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I myself would be intrested in a hand scoop I aint gonna mangle the first trip out :icon_thumright:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I've worked with it quite a bit before myself, making golf club heads and even a titanium longboard :tongue3: but mostly what I've done with it is laser cutting and forming. Awesome job on the welding, I've been told it had to be welded in a vacuum before, not being a welder I didn't know it was possible with only a good shield- thats pretty cool! Did ya use argon? :)

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Jeffro said:
I've worked with it quite a bit before myself, making golf club heads and even a titanium longboard :tongue3: but mostly what I've done with it is laser cutting and forming. Awesome job on the welding, I've been told it had to be welded in a vacuum before, not being a welder I didn't know it was possible with only a good shield- thats pretty cool! Did ya use argon? :)

Thanks Jeffro, It's actually not to bad to weld. Welding it is the least of my problems. Cutting it IS!!! Yes I use Argon

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Tank69 said:
well I myself would be intrested in a hand scoop I aint gonna mangle the first trip out :icon_thumright:

This scoop would be hard to mangle! Maybe if you run it over with a truck or something...The scoop in the picture is about 5 yrs. old.. Still new!!
I will let you know when I make another and let you all know cost. Hopfully I can keep it down to make it somewhat affordable..??

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a number of titanium tools for field work. I have purchased at least one of everything that Mission Knife and Tool makes, and a lot of some of the items. For metal detecting I have found that their take apart mine probe and the military demining knife are great. My team has used them all over the world, we are geologists and geophysicists and use them to aid in soil sampling. The soil samples are measured in my lab to assist in predicting instrumentation response in other countries.

I don't work for Mission, but I have been very pleased with their customer service, pricing and quality. The MPT12-Ti Titanium Knife is an awesome knife, it's just really big.

http://missionknive.com/

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Titanium, like all metals, has certain working characteristics. Know the "how" makes it as easy as stainless or any grade alloy steel to fabricate.
Titanium has many different grades and each has something a little different.
Being able to adapt the grade to the job can be a trick and having 41 years experience in metal fabrication helps... some.
A few tools made from Grade 5 and Grade 9 titanium...

patty1a.jpg

scoop7.jpg

patty5.jpg

tools.jpg

tool7.jpg

knife7.jpg

Best to ya!
-Wayne

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Very nice tools. I really like the hand pick! I use grade 2 titanium.
I see you REALLY know your Titanium :icon_thumright:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
mxtman2,

I see you really know your titanium too!

The pick was made from grade 5(6-4). I made it several years ago when the fab shop I was working at had a 220 ton press break. You'll notice the handle was made using two curved pieces... I broke one of them trying to bend it to the right angle! So I had to make another one and hope for the best!

How did you put the holes in your scoop?
All I have is a cheap Craftsman drill press. It took a long time to put the holes in my scoops!

I find most of the titanium I use on eBay. Titanium Joe(.com) sells different size pieces but his prices are higher than what you can find on eBay.

Do you work/own a machine or fab shop?

Your digging tools look great!

-Wayne

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Hey Wane:

Yep the holes are a B---h to drill. I used a bridgeport mill to do mine, but I did start small and work up to the size I wanted with the material clamped down. Then used a sheet metal roller to bend it round.

I work as a maintenance mechanic/welder/fabricator, so I actually get paid to play with all the equipment! :laughing7: I was having so much fun at work that I had to build a shop at home so I could work on motorcycles and weld jobs for friends and whatever. Here are a few pics. for ya.

H>H>
Dennis

Attachments

• The shop 09 006.jpg
    The shop 09 006.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,001

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread