Developing my own digging tool.. Tell me what you think..

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800 & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no problem we all have real lives we have to deal with an I doubt any of us are tapping our fingers impatiently waiting for you lol perfection takes time an I know none of us want you turning out something your not satisfied a 100% with.

HH Tank

PS congrats on the new move :icon_thumleft:

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Looks like you are on the right track. That appears to a quality design. Shows skill as a fabricator. As for coin hunting I like a little longer, so far. I added length to my ames digger by welding a piece into the V notch for cutting roots. That added about an inch to its 6 to make about 7.5. As for your serations they look generous. The ames tool I use has serations more like a steak knife, I like them. I have not used the type of serations you have so I don't have a frame of referance.

To the guy who wants a v-notch, I welded mine closed. Have you used one?

HH
Jeff

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I would suggest serrations on both sides for ambidextrous rotary operation of plug cutting :)

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i will be more than glad to put it through its paces in the frozen ground of northwest missouri in a couple of months ;D

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man that puppy is lethal....something Arnold would use.... I examined it closely seems like it will be perfect for the Missouri soil and especially the root systems we have here in MO.... Last couple of weeks out there has been a battle with the roots for me.

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69,
Thank you. We're almost done with the move.. We have everything at the new house but still have about a hundred boxes to unpack. You never realize how much junk you own until you have to move.

TURNMASTER,
Thanks for the kind words. This design isn't set in stone yet, but I've been using mine for about a month now and its working pretty good for me. I might end up changing the serations again before putting the final product into production.

@ Everyone else, thanks for the comments.

I've got a few quotes on high carbon steel for these, but right now heat treating and tempering is going to be an issue for me. We have an oven here where I work, but it doesn't get nearly hot enough to do what I need.. So now I'm researching other places to cut, form, heat treat and temper them for me. This project is still in its early stages and has been on the backburner for a while, but hopefully after I get settled in the new house I can find the right company to get this off the ground. I don't want to produce just another el-cheapo digger (already plenty of them availible).. I want this to be a quality piece at an affordable price.. So just gonna keep looking until I find the right people to help me produce it.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I'm a beginner and don't have a digging tool yet would love to test yours and get my first digging tool also. Thanks! and if I don't get one well thanks for making something better!

Frank

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NWGA-RelicHunter -
That is a nice looking job there.
I agree with some that do not want the V point.
Makes it harder to dig.
The saw pattern on both sides idea was great Brett.
On your first post, the pic #5 shows the blade guard and blade.
By the angle of the photo I can see a man's face profile. The nose.
Imagination.
Anyway, I see a round area at the center of the blade/guard interface at an angle.
This would add strength to the digger.
440 C stainless steel is heat treatable but I don't know if you can buy it in sheet stock.
It might make digger expensive. But quality counts.

Grey

TheGoldPirate

Mar 17, 2009
Colorado
Detector(s) used
FISHER GOLDBUG2,ACE150,ACE250,BOUNTY HUNTER PRO 505
Miningtown said:
Looks great...I agree with the dirt issues but I do worry about carrying a large blade in public..but then again in some parts of town its good protection!..Put me on the prototype list.

HELL YA ME TOO SING ME UP FOR A TESTER OUT HERE IN COLORADO... WE HAVE SOME TOUGH SOIL OUT HERE FOR DIGGING ..... I HAVE BROKE MANY DIGGING TOOLS... OVER THE YEARS STILL HAVE NOT FOUND A GOOD ONE AT A FAIR PRICE!!!!!!

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
You show extraordinary craftsmanship in your digging tool. I think the belt clip is a great idea to do away with a sheath full of dirt.......until I jump in my truck after a hunt and forget its still attached to my belt. I'm sure I could still drive myself to the ER with my good leg. JJ

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Here's a little update on this project:

I've run into a brick wall as far as finding someone to form and temper the blades for these things.. I've found companies who can form it for me, but they can't temper it and vice versa.. The problem with that is if I have to have them formed at one location, then sent off to be heat treated & tempered somewhere else, and then returned to me for final assembly, boxing and distribution.. well as you can imagine that would be way too expensive. So I'm just going to have to keep chopping at the bit until I can find someone who can complete the blades in one place and then send them to me for final assembly.

In the mean time, I decided to go ahead and assemble three more of these from mild steel which I will send out to my testers sometime in January:

samples1.jpg

These prototypes are not hardened or tempered and will not be nearly as strong as the final product, but the main thing I'm wanting to get some feedback on is the design, so they should be fine for testing purposes. Plus, even from mild steel the prototypes will still be fairly strong.

Thanks to everyone who has offered to test these for me.. I wish I could send you all one, but for now I can only afford to send out three of these to the guys I promised them too (Miningtown, Tank69, and Jeff In North Georgia).

When the time comes to ship them, I'll send those guys a private message and get their shipping addresses.. If by chance I don't hear back from one of them after a week or two (once I've sent the PM) I'll send one to the next person in line who offered to test one.

A note to my testers: Like I said, I have three prototypes complete but I won't be shipping them until sometime in January ($$ is too tight right now with trying to buy x-mas gifts for the kids & grandkids).. But I will get them out to you guys by the end of next month. Once you get them and try them out for a few weeks (or a couple of hunting trips), I'd appreciate it if you would post an honest review here to let me and everyone else know what you think of the design. Tell us what you think of the size, the belt clip, handle comfort, etc. And again, please keep in mind that the units I'll be sending you are only intended for reviewing the design (not strength). The prototypes are made from mild steel, but the final product will be of hardened, tempered much stronger carbon steel.

Lets see... What else? Oh yeah.. I made up a logo for the website whenever I get around to building it. ;D

cobralogo.jpg

Thanks again for all the feedback and replies so far. :thumbsup:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Love the logo and keep us informed on the status of the tool maybe I can afford one when they are ready for sale.

snakeguy

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2009
are you going to make a right handed digger since the way you have the teeth now would be easier to cut for a lefty with the cutting teeth on the left side would make it easier for a rigthy to cut with.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like new ideas and am also old fashioned as I still dig with a Swiss Bayonet and use little limb trimmers for roots. I like your design. My question is would you have more strength with the blade in line with the handle. I ask this as one who uses tools for a living and happens to fence in epee which deals with point in line. I like to see what my blade is doing basically. I think you are on to a good idea and cutting right handed would be best on a down stroke. A leather pad from a fencing supply at the base or pommel would add comfort as well when pushing and inserting into the ground.
Good luck. You have talent.
TnMountains

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:
Very nice logo.
:thumbsup:
Ray S
Thanks Ray.

Frank1960 said:
Love the logo and keep us informed on the status of the tool maybe I can afford one when they are ready for sale.
Thanks Frank. I will keep this thread up to date on the status.

snakeguy said:
are you going to make a right handed digger since the way you have the teeth now would be easier to cut for a lefty with the cutting teeth on the left side would make it easier for a rigthy to cut with.

I could put the teeth on either site. I'm right handed and prefer the teeth the way they are now. Its just a personal preference thing I guess. But yeah, It wouldnt be a problem to offer them with teeth on the oposite side. We may do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

TnMountains said:
I like new ideas and am also old fashioned as I still dig with a Swiss Bayonet and use little limb trimmers for roots. I like your design. My question is would you have more strength with the blade in line with the handle. I ask this as one who uses tools for a living and happens to fence in epee which deals with point in line. I like to see what my blade is doing basically. I think you are on to a good idea and cutting right handed would be best on a down stroke. A leather pad from a fencing supply at the base or pommel would add comfort as well when pushing and inserting into the ground.
Good luck. You have talent.
TnMountains
Thanks for the comments TnMountains. I've tried a few different designs before the current tool, and one of them was actually in line with the handle like you are talking about. It was pretty strong, but after digging with it for a while I found the offset blade like the Lesche design and the current Cobra prototype to be more comfortable for me. Again, thats a personal preference thing, as Im sure plenty of people like the inline design better. But I believe once I find the right high carbon steel and have it hardened and tempered properly, strength will not be an issue. A leather or foam pad on the back of the hand guard would make it more comfortable. I will definitely check into that once I get this thing set up for production.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Humm? It seems several of us live close enough to be neighbors?

Been reading this thread and I had a few thoughts that may help...
or may not?
Metal used in tools needs to match the job they are built for.
Just a few options to look at...
Many tempered tool steels is very hard... and 440C stainless is the same way...
only many times carbon steels price. Hardened steels with a high temper can also be brittle
and easily chipped by rock. and can break before they bend. They make great knife blades...
but a poor digging tools!
I would think a good steel to use would be one that was easy enough to form and
not need to be tempered. Yet have the strength to be a lasting digging tool and not require the
extra cost to temper.
One steel that might be worth looking at would be 4130 chromoly steel, which has a good
tensile strength(97200psi) and yield strength(63100psi). The cost would be less and should make
a digging tool that would do a fine job.

Just some food for thought.
Wayne
Cleveland, Tennessee

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NWGA---
I haven't read every post so I may be suggesting something you've already mentioned. But, have you tried using the driveshaft from junk cars as the source for your material? It already has a linear curve and is steel that is toughened to resist breaking and twisting. If you grind the edges slowly enough as to not get the metal hotter than a dark red color, the metal should keep it's temper. Welding the handle attachment shouldn't have a bad effect on the tool's temper. Heat the whole piece with a torch to a dull red color then allow it to cool down slowly to relieve any stresses caused by the cutting and welding.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NWGA have you heard the storys of the cannons in your graveyard down there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions