Ace 250 vs Fisher F2 vs Prizm III... Which to get for a starter like me?.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I am basically a newcomer to this wonderful hobby. I do not have a lot of money but really want to start this hobby for something to do in my free time so I figure I will be able to purchase one of these machines within a month or so. Looking at my budget $200-$300 once saved I have came down to picking one of the three:

Ace 250 deluxe
Fisher F2
Prizm III

The goods are the Ace 250, I see a lot of people have and seem to do ok with and the price is right and can get some good deals off ebay etc with accessories

The Prizm III is nice because there is a local WHITES manufacturing shop here that I hear gives free work if you bring it in no matter how old or the problem

The Fisher F2 seems to be the one I am leaning towards though, I called a local shop and the guy told me he prefers this, could give it with 5 year warranty, extra "4 inch coil and pinpointer for $215, and he would be there to show me how to use it or if I ever have questions to call him anytime.

For a beginner like me who has technically never metal detected with a "real" machine which would you suggest?

I was just wondering if anyone could help add some input. Thanks!

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has good reviews too thanks, for some reason I am just set on a digital one for my first...

wolfdog

Sep 24, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't back away from the F2, I have had one for over a year and have had good luck with it . Easy to use and learn ,killer on coins as that is all I use it for anyway. It is light weight and you can swing it all day also easy on battery's.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolfdog said:
Don't back away from the F2, I have had one for over a year and have had good luck with it . Easy to use and learn ,killer on coins as that is all I use it for anyway. It is light weight and you can swing it all day also easy on battery's.

Thanks thats the one I was figuring, especially with the dealer since he is local. Eventually I will get a higher model later on I just want a good finder that detects clad and occasional rings etc, can you tell me some things you have found with the F2?

M

michigan michael

HunterSteve said:
wolfdog said:

Thanks thats the one I was figuring, especially with the dealer since he is local. Eventually I will get a higher model later on I just want a good finder that detects clad and occasional rings etc, can you tell me some things you have found with the F2?

I was considering an F2 when I first started. I ended up with the ACE 250 because I read A LOT of bad reviews on the F2. I wish I would of purchased the silver umax but am happy with the ace as well. Good luck on which one you decide.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you haven't got one yet get the Ace 250.

dwatson4

Sep 8, 2010
West Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
E trac, F75, Garrett Sea hunter II
I have the Fisher F2 (with stock and small coil) and the ACE 250. I also have the Fisher F75 and garret sea hunter mark II as for pin pointers I have the F-point and Garrett pro pinter. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and mines just as crappy as anyone else's, but here it is anyway.

Personally I really like the ACE 250 and the pro pointer, great for coin shooting parks and yards, but it's not the detector as much as it is the detectorist that matters. Get to know your machine, set goals, do the research, don't give up and no matter what choice you make you will have success. That being said Garret makes some damn fine machines, spend the extra cash and consider the 350. I've owned minelab, whites, garrett, fisher, and bounty hunter. I've sold everything except the fishers and garretts and I own just as many garrets as I do fishers, but I'm considering buying another garrett. I have the only fisher I want.

However, if you want to compare the F2 and 250 this is why I like the 250 more.
ACE250 has a bell tone when over coin signals, F2 does not
ACE250 uses 4 "AA" batteries F2 uses 2 9v for about the same time of use cheaper to operate.
ACE250 has a preset programs including custom, F2 does not
ACE250 feels more rugged, comfortable, well built. F2 feels and looks kinna cheap
F2 gives a numeric target value ACE250 does not, go fisher!
ACE250 makes you look sexy and hot with its bright yellow color F2 does not

hope this helps

P.S. the pro pointer is the best VLF pin pointer out there, I haven't tried the pistol probe but I considered it. The pistol probe is a pulse induction pin pointer not VLF. It's range is probably greater than the pro pointer but I saw that as a possible problem rather than an asset, and its bigger bulkier than the well made durable comfortable pro pointer.

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also fairly new in metal detecting, I did some small bits of research before buying and ended up purchasing a Garrett Ace 250. In the limited use I have had with it, I have had some erroneous readings (a "quarter" that ended up being a pulltab after digging it or a "cent" being a bent piece of sheet copper). Then again I hear more expensive ones doing the same thing. As far as reliability, I only can speak highly but again this is the only metal detector I ever had experience using.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dwatson4 said:
I have the Fisher F2 (with stock and small coil) and the ACE 250. I also have the Fisher F75 and garret sea hunter mark II as for pin pointers I have the F-point and Garrett pro pinter. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and mines just as crappy as anyone else's, but here it is anyway.

Personally I really like the ACE 250 and the pro pointer, great for coin shooting parks and yards, but it's not the detector as much as it is the detectorist that matters. Get to know your machine, set goals, do the research, don't give up and no matter what choice you make you will have success. That being said Garret makes some damn fine machines, spend the extra cash and consider the 350. I've owned minelab, whites, garrett, fisher, and bounty hunter. I've sold everything except the fishers and garretts and I own just as many garrets as I do fishers, but I'm considering buying another garrett. I have the only fisher I want. Good job on explaining all of this to him!!!!

However, if you want to compare the F2 and 250 this is why I like the 250 more.
ACE250 has a bell tone when over coin signals, F2 does not
ACE250 uses 4 "AA" batteries F2 uses 2 9v for about the same time of use cheaper to operate.
ACE250 has a preset programs including custom, F2 does not
ACE250 feels more rugged, comfortable, well built. F2 feels and looks kinna cheap
F2 gives a numeric target value ACE250 does not, go fisher!
ACE250 makes you look sexy and hot with its bright yellow color F2 does not

hope this helps

P.S. the pro pointer is the best VLF pin pointer out there, I haven't tried the pistol probe but I considered it. The pistol probe is a pulse induction pin pointer not VLF. It's range is probably greater than the pro pointer but I saw that as a possible problem rather than an asset, and its bigger bulkier than the well made durable comfortable pro pointer.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
at $279 - the delta 4000 by teknetics is worth checking out -

digsomemore

Oct 12, 2011
south carolina
Detector(s) used
White's classic SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I would like to know the same thing. I have been trying to find out which one is the best kind for me. So far what you have told me here is the looks of each unit makes you feel better. But, is the number read out better or more accurate then the ace 250 read out. It seems that's the only difference is that it shows up the target between the two, is this true? I know that they are a best guess of the target. So again which one is considered better or are they about the same.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the ace 250 sorts by "blocks" - sadly it puts gold items and pulltabs in the same block --thus forcing you to dig it all to be sure exactly what the target it is --if you are a dig it all type this is no problem -- but if you want to try to cherry pick somewhat - thus getting a very large % of the gold with a lot less pulltabs % wize --then a numbers machine is the way to go -- since it sorts things to a finer degree --a delta 4000 by "numbers" 0 - 99 vs 12 blocks on a ace 250 thats a 8 to 1 ratio of sorting 8 numbers vs 1 block --which do you think will sort to a finer degree? please note no machine is perfect and some tabs will still overlap into the gold numbers but "number type" machines like the delta 4000 are better in my veiw (i have owned several lower end under 300 buck machines - including several BH models and a ace 250 as well --the delta 4000 is the best of the bunch in my veiw - for under $300 )

digsomemore

Oct 12, 2011
south carolina
Detector(s) used
White's classic SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys that's about what I am looking for. That is some good info. Thought the numbers would give you a better read out rather than the block read out like the ace. But being I have a dig and beep and the only one I have ever had, I really want to k now is hoe to eliminate iron. Iron is my enemy! I can determine large pieces but the places I hunt are full of iron. So I am looking for an md that can cut out what is iron for me. Don't love pull tabs but I seem to dig a lot of them.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I just bought a 250 for my daughter. I'm not worried about #'s as I search by sound.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
small iron ( like small nails and iron chips) can be culled by turning your disc level up a bit --larger iron by tone and size * since its hard to disc out such a large item out .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread