Best Bug repellant out there.....Who makes it?

Buck Rabbit

May 6, 2010
Bell, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8x, Bounty Hunter SharpshooterII
I carry a bottle of sulphur powder with me and all you have to do is dust around your ankles and no ticks or chiggers!!

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
I like the old 100% Deet bug juice we used in Vietnam. However, that is getting hard to come by these days. I now use the 3M ultrathon the army issues. Just as good but doesn't melt plastic or discolor your clothes. I got mine at the Bass Pro shop website (cream or areosol - both work). I live in Kentucky, I know about those pesky little #$%^&!! ticks & chiggers! This stuff works.

Keep Hunting :thumbsup:
KYBuzzBox

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly park detect and the insects in the summer months are a pain. Don't know if anyone has used this before but it works for me, plus it's a sunsceen too. I buy mine at REI.

I've tried that Avon lotion before and think the insects out here like it :laughing7:

Repel Sun & Bug Stuff® Lotion
A combination SPF 15 sun block and 20% DEET insect repellent non-greasy odorless lotion in a convenient flip-top bottle. This combination product provides total sun protection while protecting against mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, gnats, fleas, and biting flies.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I read the post and I'll relate a little story: My guitar-picking buddy and I went to a nature reserve the other day just sight seeing and absolutely almost got torn apart by some kind of gnats down there in Mississippi...those bugs were out for pure blood, man! I had forgotten to bring my can of Backwoods Cutter-23% Deet and remembered my dad had a can of Skin-So-Soft in trunk of the car which he kept there for use while in woods digging crapemyrtles and such. Anyhow, I grabbed that spray and we took tuns spraying each other with that spray and those pests didn't bite us for 30 minutes or so...then we had to reapply the spray. Skin-So-Soft ain't a longterm fix on keeping the small pests away...but works pretty well for around 30 minutes or so if liberally applied. And it kinda smells alright to me...Deet stinks like he** but does a lot better job at keeping the small critters at bay. Service branches used to use bottles of cutter lotion- I was issued a small bottle at boot camp on Paris Island, S.C. around November of 1982. Dang sand fleas would eat you up and it was winter time-ha! I still remember the Drill Instructor saying A---TACK! And that's when we could briefly scratch the bites-then right back to attention-ha!

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Okay, you're going to laugh at me and probably look down your nose at me... but... Bourbon. Get smashed on bourbon the night before you go hunting. Drink so much that it starts oozing out of your pores. Wake up and take a couple of shots of the hair of the dog that bit you, and head out. You won't be touched by ANY bug all day.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get OFF 100% DEET in the camping section at Wal-Mart, or Thermacell in the hunting isle, the thermacell isn't a spray but a unit you clip on to you or a backpack and it keeps the skeeters away. Also OFF makes a unit like the Thermacell but cheaper than the Thermacell.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like alot of good idea's everbody has.
thanks much, take care and don't let those bugs chew you up.
ron

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, back in my scouting days I spent a summer at this swamp camp in Florida.

Turns out their primary water source was sulphur water and it stunk like rotten eggs. They mixed it with cool-aid and after awhile you got used to the smell and just drank it.

Well, after a few days I notice the mosquitoes and other pests weren't bothering me anymore and the camp counsels said it was because of the drink. They called it "Bug Juice". Seems the sulphur built up in your system after a few days and bugs just didn't like the way you'd taste anymore.

Gotta admit, it worked!

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I've been experimenting by wiping tonic water (with quinine) onto my exposed skin (neck, arms, ears, etc.) Seems to keep the mosquitoes off, and doesn't make a mess. Don't know (yet) if it will keep swarms away, though....

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
I've found that NOTHING works better than this. doesnt just keep them away, theyre DEAD if they even touch you. 2 coats works for me whenever I go out. plus they sell em almost everywhere.

Attachments

• Raid.gif
    Raid.gif
    96.4 KB · Views: 9,994

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Re: Bluing--it's still around the laundry aisles. Got a bottle here; brand "Bluette."

I half remember a story: A native of somewhere climbing naked up into a tree filled with wasp or bee hives. What he was after, I don't recall, but he was nonplussed and descended without a sting. The awestruck gringos were given this explanation: The critters are repelled by the odor of an unbathed human.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
Ding-Dong ,Avon's calling,That's right Avon's Skin-so-Soft works really good for keeping bugs off.

Not for me, nor in tests I've read. Doesn't work at all.

I like Permanone since I don't like DEET on my skin, or even the smell of it.

It actually kills the little buggers, not just repels them.

I deal with bugs all the time and that's what I use. Occasionally, I will DEET my face as well.

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
cesarnono13 said:
I've found that NOTHING works better than this. doesnt just keep them away, theyre DEAD if they even touch you. 2 coats works for me whenever I go out. plus they sell em almost everywhere.

Are you serious? You actually put this on your skin?

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thermacell is the only thing that I will trust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread