Best Bug repellant out there.....Who makes it?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys I have had it with all of these darn little critters you cannot see with the naked eye and I am ready to call upon you guys to figure out what the heck works on chiggers!!! I have tried deet(off), the eucalptus with lemon oil(i think it just makes them think I taste better) and I have raided my sweethearts cabinets for her avon skin so soft and that is not cutting it either. I put that stuff(skin so soft) all over my legs and ankles up to my waist and then some before I went out yesterday and guess what, it did not help matters any. I am thinking of trying pine o pine and put it in a spray bottle to apply it with. Any of you suffer with the same thing when hunting in open fields and woods? Maybe it is just me and I am the only one on the planet that is chigger bait!! I really do not want to wait until the frost kicks in. Yesterday was the first time I have been this season and boy I feel like I goofed now because of the chiggers. Any advice and thoughts are welcome, Tim

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
bigtim1973 said:
OK guys I have had it with all of these darn little critters you cannot see with the naked eye and I am ready to call upon you guys to figure out what the heck works on chiggers!!! I have tried deet(off), the eucalptus with lemon oil(i think it just makes them think I taste better) and I have raided my sweethearts cabinets for her avon skin so soft and that is not cutting it either. I put that stuff(skin so soft) all over my legs and ankles up to my waist and then some before I went out yesterday and guess what, it did not help matters any. I am thinking of trying pine o pine and put it in a spray bottle to apply it with. Any of you suffer with the same thing when hunting in open fields and woods? Maybe it is just me and I am the only one on the planet that is chigger bait!! I really do not want to wait until the frost kicks in. Yesterday was the first time I have been this season and boy I feel like I goofed now because of the chiggers. Any advice and thoughts are welcome, Tim

Don't know what to say. Deet works for me. Maybe you're a chigger magnet. I'm a tick magnet. If I walk in a 100 acre field and there's one tick in the field, he's gona get on me. :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far it really looks that way. I know what you mean...........I do not have the problem with ticks though I feel for you too...I hate those things too. It is weird because I can do yard work and walk through the same area my sweetie does and she has never had a problem with chiggers. I can just be near that same clump of grass and just look at it wrong and it is all over for me >:(

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The absolute BEST bug juice I've ever found was the G.I. issued bug repellent in the squeeze bottle. The spray can was good, but spraying is too easy to get the stuff on your wrist watch where it'll soften the plastic. This is NO JOKE.

I used this stuff in Alaska where stinging gnats would fly up in dark clouds out of bushes. No gnats, no mosquitoes, no other bugs would get on you with this stuff. I know it was high in content of Deet, but I don't know what else might be in it.

To find this Army issue stuff, try a real military surplus store, not a store that only sells the reproduced stuff made in China.

Until you can find this juice, try layering on vaseline. The greasy stuff will fill your skin's pores and the red bugs (the OTHER name for chiggers) will get bogged down in the stuff and smothered. When you wipe off the greasy vaseline, they'll be in IT and not your skin.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ding-Dong,Avon's calling,that's right Avons skin-so-soft works real well as a bug repellant,and is cheap to.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Produce Guy said:
Ding-Dong,Avon's calling,that's right Avons skin-so-soft works real well as a bug repellant,and is cheap to.

Didn't read his post did you. :tongue3:

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear bigtim1973;
If you've everything on the market and nothing seems to work for you, try this. Use vanilla extract, but not the fake vanilla extract, use only real 100% vanilla extract. It works and I don't know why it works, but it does work. I live in So. America where no-see-ums are a way of life and for some reason all bugs hate the smell of vanilla extract. I walk around smelling like a bakery all day which tends to keep me hungry, but at least I'm not slapping & scratching. Try it and see if it works for you.
Your friend;
LAMAR

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
like Monty, I use Cutter's, it has a high deet content, but it works to keep the bugs away

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys..............I am going to try the GI bug repellant and the chiggaway and I think I have some real vanilla extract also around the house. I might try 2 or 3 at the same time. I appreciate all of the responses that have been posted on this flag. Thanks Guys!!!

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
No need to try anything other than GI issue 100% Deet. We used it in the nam nothing works better.
HH
C

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep woods off or cutters. Look at the can for the highest % of deet. I am in Tennessee also and the chiggers are bad this year. I spray every hour when in the grass and I mean everywhere. The chiggers are awful. Spray the inside of the bottom of your pants before you put them on and your socks also. Sounds crazy but nothing worse than chiiger bites :help:
TnMtns

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
TnMountains said:
Deep woods off or cutters. Look at the can for the highest % of deet. I am in Tennessee also and the chiggers are bad this year. I spray every hour when in the grass and I mean everywhere. The chiggers are awful. Spray the inside of the bottom of your pants before you put them on and your socks also. Sounds crazy but nothing worse than chiiger bites :help:
TnMtns

I know what you mean. And you usually get a few hundred bites at a time!!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you do get bit by the chiggers, put clear fingernail polish on them and leave it on until it stops itching

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try taking b-12 and b-6
they are expelled through the skin and blood sucking insects don't like the taste
start with 1000mg then 500mg a day there after

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got that chiggaway on the way. Ordered 2 bottles of it. Found some deet at wally world and it is like 30%. It was the highest they had in the section..I might try to go to that B-12 too cause I think we got some of it around the house. I am going to start spraying on the hour also too!!!!! I'll fix those little ba$tard$ one way or another!!!!! Thanks for all of the advice fellows, Tim

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I go to the sporting goods section & but the strongest deet spray they have, usually 4o then I pretty much take a bath in it. you gotta spray heavily around the waist line & socks & any clothing that is tight on you that is where they like. & I spray my clothes too. I use it every time I go outside, even just to chk the mail! I been thinkin I need to buy stock in Off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread