Cobra Digging Tool Review

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
NWGA-RelicHunter was nice enough to forward me his new Cobra prototype tool for a field test and I can tell you that it is one heck of a tool! I do not have a Lesche to compare it to as I typically use a smaller knife and or hand trowel.

To start off, it is very solid. Sturdy welds and it fits well in my hand. It has a padded handle and small end cap that twists off and a very handy belt clip. If you've seen the pics..it is a somewhat intimidating looking tool. That being said..I may be a bit reluctant to have it hanging off the belt with no sheath as it could be misconstrued as a weapon but then again it may be an advantage depending on where one hunts...up to the user I guess. For this review..I just had it hanging off my finds pouch and it fit perfectly. (I use a tool belt bag from the hardware store). The ground was wet so digging in the soil was easy. When roots were present the serrated edges cut right through them with no problem. It's wide enough to use to scoop dirt out and long enough for most of my finds. All around a great design!

The only ideas that I would add to modify it to my liking would be to add a serrated edge to the left side of the tool as I tend to pull it toward me and one of my hunting Buddy's commented that the handle could be a bit fatter.

Thank you RelicHunter for letting me try out this tool. Look forward to the final product!

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
NWGA-RelicHunter was nice enough to forward me his new Cobra prototype tool to three of us for a field test. It is quite an impressive tool!

I do have a Lesche to compare it to.

The first thing I noticed is its weight. It’s ~21 oz compared to the Lesche which is ~14 oz. I hope the production, tempered version is a little thinner in thickness and lighter.

Mine had a burr in the handle when you take the cork out, it gets chewed up.

Construction is very sturdy and it does fit well to the hand. It’s looks are very intimidating so I personally would not wear it on my belt to a school or park but it is great for relic hunting or around that old home site. It also wants to flop a little from side to side on the belt.

The ground here in Georgia this time of year is wet so digging was easy. Roots were easily cut with the serrated edges on the right of the digger. It can be hard on the thumb and forefinger knuckles when cutting a root. It is wide enough to use as a scoop in the hole and long enough for most of my finds.

The improvements I would like to see are:
1 Decrease its overall weight.
2 De-burr the inside of the handle tube to prevent the cork from getting tore up.
3 Maybe more root cutting teeth smaller in size.
4 I would like a colored grip or change the color to an orange or yellow so if you dropped it in the woods it would be easier to find.
5 Add some padding for the knuckles for when you are cutting roots.
6 Change where the two wires are welded to the blade. Have them go to the outside edge of the blade. This would make it more stable on the belt.
7 Optional sheath?

Thank you RelicHunter for letting us try out this tool. Look forward to the final

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800 & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the reviews guys. And I will definitely make some of the changes you guys suggested. I'm actually thinking about shortening the tool just a little, which will cut down on the weight. I'll make changes to the serations aswell, and definitely a good idea about the colored foam handle incase you drop it in the woods. :icon_thumright:

Charlie, you can see pics here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,271793.0.html

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for being so late here fellas , but I to received a Cobra Proto type from NWGA-RelicHunter.As promised here is my review of it .

I got my Cobra an the very first thing I noticed was wow sure is nice fit in my big Paws.The fit in your hand an the weight and length just feel good , not like your holding junk. I have to be honest when I first heard NWGA-RelicHunter talking to us about it I figured ya ya sure it'll be just another knock off BOY WAS I WRONG . For those of you that don't know me I'm big guy an live out in the desert with some of the nastiest ground known to man , when I say I'm ruff on diggers you have no idea.I have dug rocks out nugget hunting , cut roots that at times I thought where just miniature trees an not roots at all , I've dug plugs in various types of the soil we have here an this black beauty has never let me down , this is a tool that loves what it was designed for . My biggest problems with diggers is I bend them , an until I got my brand X (starts with a L ) I never had decent digger an I hate to say it but brand X is now my back up digger or my loaner because the Cobra is my new digger .

I hate having to do this but here where the down sides to this Digger if you can call them that . when I first got it I had to take the cork plug out an hit the handle with a file to cut the burs so they wouldn't chew up the cap .The second thing I had to do was to bend the curve for the belt clip in some I noticed out in the field it just kinda stuck out a little to much an was uncomfortable .

Both easy fixes .........the one problem I do have is it don't come with a can of flat black to repaint it when you scuff it . LOL

NWGA-RelicHunter you have made a AWSOME digger my friend an thank you very much for letting me be one of your testers .

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• SDC10625.JPG
    SDC10625.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 492
  • SDC10626.JPG
    SDC10626.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 483
  • SDC10627.JPG
    SDC10627.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 478
  • SDC10628.JPG