Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal80,
It all depends on what you intend to use it for. If you really need to dig lots of holes and some of them deep then you will appreciate the long handled shovels. What you will not appreciate about them is carrying them for a long distance or for a long time. If you must carry for distance or time then consider some type of carry on your back, a pack or some home made carry pouch on your back.

Gerber has Two sizes of these shovels, the typical larger military size and a Much smaller size that is totally compact and yet still solid. Both can be purchased from Cabella's. I use the compact one for backpacking/prospecting. If I need to move a lot of dirt then I need to bring in a standard sized shovel but either of the Gerber's will move dirt, will chop some and make holes. Depends on your end use! Also, a good quality shovel will last for a long time, this includes the Gerber's, where as one of the cheap imitation ones will let you down fairly soon especially if you really need to use it hard. Oh, if you need to do some sawing of roots, trees or branches, one of the fiskars sliding saws really holds up to lots of use, black handle w/orange knob. Only in use thing to remember is they cut on the pull stroke so let up on the push back stroke as you do not want to bend the blade.

63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread