Folding Shovel - Like or Dislike?

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I never had a good one. The El Cheapos never locked up tight enough for my liking. I don't want to feel the shovel wiggle when I put my foot onto it. Maybe the good quality would fit the bill.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those Fiskars made folding shovels and man it is awesome. :icon_thumright:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone point me towards a retailer who carries the Gerber? Their website lists Wal Mart and Target but all I'm seeing there are camping accessory kits containing the shovel that cost over a hundred bucks. I just want the shovel.

Lt1stone

Jan 25, 2008
Newkirk Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, Gray Ghosts, Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mines an Ame's heat treated folding shovel a guy gave me that was in the Air Force. One of the best I have ever used but it's too short so I reworked it. Using 30" 3/4" black gas pipe and a ball bearing at the top of the handle it's a little heavier than I expected but it kicks butt on digging. I hunted 3 hours today and it didn't break me and I darn sure didn't break it.

Attachments

• shovel1.jpg
    shovel1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,421

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have personally used many of George's Predator tools and my main stand by is the long handle folding shovel. Just to give you an idea how strong they are I used to chop wood with it when I couldn't find my hatchet :icon_thumright: They are the best made tools around BAR NONE. You know the saying you get what you pay for, that gerber will break. It looks way too tiny and I guarantee it wont chop wood for long. Long handed folding shovel is good for fields and relic hunting. It laughs at roots. And it's just the right height to use in the unfolded position for plugs. Man I love this thing, it stays in the truck with me at all times. The price is right for a 100% hand made tool made in america. Predator tools are bought by the US military, I know gerber doesn't have a contract with them. Not to knock gerber I own their axes but people who scoff at the price of a Predator Tool don't really appreciate the work and dedication that goes into making these tools. Just my 2 cents.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:Great you guys like that folding shovel...But I've got a shovel so comfy and sturdy you'd all probably want one if you could get one. I take a sharpshooter shovel-you know with the long narrow digging blade about 6" wide and about 16" long. I cut about five or six inches off the end of blade to make it comfy to rest my foot on when shovel is standing straight up in a resting position before pushing blade into soil with foot. I cut off sides of blade at a 45 degree angle. Then I sharpen tip of blade and sharpen one side of blade to use as a chopping axe for troublesome roots and limbs and vines that get in my way...it works almost as good as a bush axe. And man is this shovel comfy and a backsaver. I use it on the beach and in the woods and fields. Almost never have to bend over while using this shovel...I even have mastered the method of scooping up finds on beach and woods,etc. without having to bend over to do it. Or that far over anyhow. :icon_thumleft:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I got a old Army entrenching tool that I used while stationed in Alaska and it works just fine for digging fox holes but haven't used it yet for detecting.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure it will break eventually but that gerber will break 10 times before that Lesche will. I only chopped a medium log in half once. The Axe wasn't around I thought Id give it a shot. Just goes to show you how strong it is. That Gerber? Not a chance. Im sure it depends on how hard a person is on their equipment. Tree roots, rocks in farm fields, all play a factor. You get what you pay for.

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
I use a GI issue Folding entrenching tool with a case that fits on my GI issue pistol belt. Cost $15.00 :thumbsup:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a military issue folding shovel at Mills Fleet Farm for $8.

I also found a leather military issue sheath to carry the shovel on your belt for $2.79 at the same Fleet Farm.

About a week later I found another shovel at a garage sale for $3.00

Look around, you don't need to spend that much on a sturdy folding shovel.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
HI, coin finder here, about the shovel, I got a Free Shovel from the U.S. Government and a Free trip to ( Vietnam) 1969 ) and made a Lot of Holes and still do , but when I do dig a hole it bring me back to though days ..

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Looked at the Gerber/Fiskars at Cabelas once, knew it would last two trips to the river with me and I'm just not willing to part with that much for something you know will not cut it in hard pack rocky bottoms. The Predator tools model looks much better, only two segments.

The Gerber would most likely be good in bottle digs and rooty ground but I also hit some very rocky stream beds and it's gotta be hard to get by. Got a Predator Mauler, works like it should, straight handles still rule the digging world.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
I just use an old army folding shovel. They are made for war and mine has never broke. You can get them cheap too, go to an army surplus store and you can get them for 10.00. they work great!!! :laughing7:

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
man oh man, those prices are unreal!

do you not have a local army/navy store? I just picked up a brand new military grade GI issues folding shovel, made in the USA, for 19.99.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I used my e-tool to dig fox holes in Alaska and the ground was permafrost and didn't break it so doubt anything down here will break it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread